People with fish bags

Callatya

Hey all,

I ended up in a catering & packaging supply shop last week and on top of all the fun cups, jars and doohickeys that I was just itching to play fishies with, they had an entire rack of foodsafe plastic bags. I bought a pack of small ones to trial as they had a folded base and side seams and they worked rather well. On the way home I dropped past my folks' place and Dad mentioned that he thought the micron size was not ideal for liquids. They aren't really under pressure, we are hand bagging rather than using O2 canisters, so I'm not that worried but I was wondering what micron size normal fish bags are, and if anyone has ever had a problem with this. These were 35um, apparently we should be aiming for 50.

Myself, i'm more interested in how the seams will work as I think fishbags generally are tubular and have a single sealed base seam, but I guess we'll see ;)

The plastic is nice and 'rubbery' (for want of a better word) as opposed to the rather brittle consistency of some the small fish bags from a few years ago. They seem to be fairly supple/flexible. Abbey took the first 10 of our spawn home on Tuesday using them with no mishap, but that's only a 45 minute drive. Double bagging is necessary if you're actually shipping IMO, whatever bag you use.

I know nothing about micron size, tensile strength or seams, but the idea of a whole craft shop full of stuff to play fish with is very appealling :)Can I ask, are the bags fairly cheap? Always cool to try something new, how small is small? Betta bag small, or kind 6" by 12" small? Bring some along on Saturday!

I got a bag of 50 small ones (betta bag small, thought we could use for moving the juvies around rather than waste big bags on small fish) for $2, most expensive was under $12 I think. I reckon it is easy to have a play and find out *lol* They are just flat bags though, so you need to tape or tie the corners to prevent squishing. I left the bags at Lilli's place, so I'm sure there'll be some to play with next week :)

I blew one up with air in the car, I squished, it didn't want to burst. :) The ones with the fish were bagged twice due to a delay, and they still appear to be intact, so that is promising :)

I think the micron size refers to the thickness of the plastic sheet, so a higher number would be thicker plastic. I'll have a look at a few of the larger bags next time, see if they come any thicker as the bag size increases.

all commercially available and utilized fish bags are MINIMUM 50micron - this is the thickness of the bag. Double bag for all spiky fish like catfish and Cichlids.

Bettas can go into thinner bags - just double bag if you are shipping. Carrying to a shop is ok in one bag.

I have trouble getting rubber bands around bags thicker than 50 micron.