Naughty Lps

bewarebrunette

One of my LPS has about 30 'female fighters' in a tank, alot of them beaten up, mainly because 50% are males. I know that if I say something to them they are seriously not going to care.. but I feel bad for the little fellas, and it wouldnt suprise me if they were selling them to people because 'they can all go in together. Males in the shop are $9.95, they are charging $15 for the females..

What to do?

Feel sorry for the poor fish - and at those prices they won't sell very fast either (assuming they're just VT's).

It's worth mentioning just incase they haven't got a clue about betta's and haven't twigged that they will have unsaleable fish before too long. Maybe the mentioning of reduced profits could motivate them to do something.

What would I do? Personally, 9 times out of 10, I'd walk away. LFS don't typically listen to me (I tend to inspire a bad case of the 'now look here little lady' s) and they aren't usually interested anyway. But as Wayne said, it may be worth mentioning it to them just so you can know you tried.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my LPS has about 30 'female fighters' in a tank, alot of them beaten up, mainly because 50% are males. I know that if I say something to them they are seriously not going to care.. but I feel bad for the little fellas, and it wouldnt suprise me if they were selling them to people because 'they can all go in together. Males in the shop are $9.95, they are charging $15 for the females..

What to do?

Jeesus! Sorry If i offended anyone but THAT is terrible :P

The number cardinal rule of owning Bettas is that no boys are together.

I would certainly try and educate them (even if they should know better) and urge them to seperate the boys from each other and maybe, for variety put 1 male in with the girls.

If not, I would suggest calling up the rspca if they really don't care.

I personally find this disgusting.

I'm with Queenserpentine, if they don't listen inform them they are breaking the law. If you get nothing from them ring the RSPCA quick smart =D

Cruelty to any form of animal is not acceptable.

My 2 cents worth =D

Yep. You see it a lot with horses. A horse's feet can be in such a bad way that it's virtually crippled, but provided that it has food and water it's unfortunately prioritised after the really cruel cruelty cases. Mammals are a higher priority than fish, for understandable reasons. If it's something you hook it, kiss and chuck back, what does it matter if it's got a bit of fin damage? I see the logic.

It much be so frustrating to volunteer for the RSPCA and have no resources to deal with certain stuff.

I encounter the same problem at the LFS around here and I always say to them 'Oh and by the way you have a few males in with the females there, you might want to get them out because the males WILL start killing off your females from fighting if they don't want to spawn' usually this get's 1 of 2 responses

1: 'Oh really, we just get them all in a bulk lot, they should all be females and how do you know anyway' at which point I mention I breed them and it's an easy enough mistake to put a short finned male in with females, breeders do it all the time and this response to me says they don't care and are embarrassed/annoyed that I know more about it than them

2: 'Oh no, that's not good. How can you tell? Can you show me so I can get them out' at which point I do my best layman's version of how to tell a male from female even if they all have short fins and usually by the end of my quick lesson the person is identifying them on their own and I walk away feeling like I've made a difference.

I've only ever got response #2 twice, they are the stores I go back to. The others I don't bother with unless I want CT girls and I can usually pick them out for myself..i do still try the 'you have males in there by the way' but they continue to not care.

Oh well, ignorance is bliss i guess..or in this case it's laziness

Lisa mentioned the Hook,Kiss,Chuck thing that can be seen on Prime Time TV Fishing shows.

And the bloody idiots have the gaul to talk as if THEY LOVE FISH!!

I would so love to shove a big hook through THEIR jaws,drag them around a paddock and hoist them up,

hold theirs stupid heads under water while I televise the whole thing and talk about how beautiful they are,

rip the hook out of the jaw,give them a loving kiss and CHUCK THEM!!

Unbelievable!?!

That's censorship for you!

Of course,any act of real love between two people should be hidden in case it gives kids the wrong idea!