My Bolivian Butterflys just spawned!

jax

Hey guys, please help... my bolivian butterflys turned out to be a pair... thank god... but the could be gay? i dont know. Any how, was wondering what i can do about hatching the eggs... they are currently in the community tank right now, and mum/dad is scaring all the other fish away and looking after them... if i leave them in there they will most likely get eaten. Do the eggs stick to the surface they were layed on? Help help help!? If u know any good sites which can also help me with hatching rearing etc, please post links thankyou heaps :lol:

This is what I found for you :lol:

hatched in about 60 hours at 83 degrees, and were free - swimming in about 72 hours. I was told that it was probably the tetras and not the parents eating the fry so as soon as the 4th batch became free- swimming, I removed them, filled a 5.5 gallon tank with water from the parent tank, added a mature filter, some Java moss, and put the babies in their own tank. I started them with microworms as a first food and fed three times daily. After about two weeks, I took some color flake, spirulina flake and small bits of freeze-dried krill and crushed it into a powder

I found this after a google search at www.aquaticcommunity.com

If you want to read the whole article on the Bolivian butterfly/Bolivian Ram here it is http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/universal-viewid94.html

HTH :lol:

I raised a spawn of severums by siphoning the wrigglers into a separate tank and feeding them bbs til they were big enough for other foods. I suggest giving that a try. It's not unheard of for 2 female fish to pair up, lay eggs and defend their nest from predators, but of course the eggs never hatch.

hey thanx for the links robbie they were just what i needed. I had a pair of gay angels before whom somehow spawned, obviously the eggs never hatched, they ate them. we'll see what happens :D If they go white, then that means they are fertilised... but if they go fungusy... then their dud... right? lol thanx guys

I would them be for now. Chances are that the first spawn, it will fail. At least you know they spawn :D Keep watching them, some get lazy with fanning the first few times, due to inexperience. I would move them into there own 2ft tank, so they can breed and raise in peace for the future. Heavily feed them on live and frozen foods for the best possible outcomes :giggle: Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

guess what! After a few days i knew they were fertilised becaused the eggs changed colour, greyish blackish. But one day i decided. I'll leave them in one more day and then when i get back i'll move them into a new tank. But when i got back, they were gone! Oh Oh!

But then about a week later, which is todays, i woke up and found... BABIES! They were hiding all along! Doing great, suprising because they are in a community tank of 11 neons, 3 catfish, 2 tiger barbs and a goldfish. Goldfish wanted to eat the eggs the whole time, but mummy and daddy protected the eggs too well and Mr goldfish got a beating.

I siphoned that babes out but here are just a few pics.

Eggs before hatching, not a very good pic, i know :blink:

Posted Image

Mum and dad lookin after babes

Posted Image

AND BABIES!!

Posted Image

:blink: Thats fantastic!! Congrats! The photos are great, especially the last photo. I am so happy for you :blink: How many are there? What are you feeding them? You might want to write notes about this spawn, and share it with others later. Well done!!!

Thanx Fae :blink:

how many are there?: 60+

what are you feeding them?: Since i just discovered them today, i think they HAVE been eating little micro organisms in the water. But for the time being they are big enough for brine shrimp, which i got a hatchery going right now, theres blackworms in the tank for those if dare, they could JUST fit.

nothing else i could possibly think of, just hope that they will survive. I'm just wondering how so many of them dissapeared in my tank and then over 60 of them reappeared, I'm not sure, but i'm hinting either one of the parentals keeps them in their mouth, on because i saw one pick the baby up and spat it out else where. :blink: OR the little bubs were hiding in the gravel the whole time.

Well it was exciting to find them anyway, time to do some searching on that now :huh:

Congratulations! Bolivian rams/butterflys are a great fish. I've often meant to get some but never see any decent ones in stores :blink: They probably moved the eggs before they hatched. SA dwarfs often do that particularly if they picked an open area to start with. It is great to see the parents hearding the fry around the tank and picking up the wanderers. I had a similar shock the other week when I found a cloud of Apisto cacatuoides fry in a tank with only a female. It took me a monent to remember putting a male in the tank 10 days earlier and removing him 36hrs later minus half his tail after cowering in the corner of the tank. She had spawned and beat the daylights out of the male in 36hrs of meeting. Now that is speed dating. :blink: If you can, add some java moss and a mature sponge filter to the tank with the babies. They will spend their time grazing on the tasty things living in both of them. It would be great to give those guys a tank of their own with maybe just a couple of tetras. From the sounds of things they would make great parents. Good bolivians and fish that look after their fry are sorely needed in Aus. Dean

• 2 months later...

Archived