Food

Bender

I am reading conflicting advice regarding the amount of food it is best to give my Betta. Some say to feed 3-4 pellets twice a day, exchanging for a live food every few days, and this is what I've been doing. Others say feed as much as the betta will consume in a couple of minutes. My girl just about inhales her food, it only takes about 3 seconds.

Can I give her more?

What will happen if she over eats?

How can I be sure she is getting enough?

I'm with Lilli....

If you add more food she will eat it.....and just like us.....overeating eventually leads to health problems and worse if she spits some out to go septic in the tank

A few day off every now and then doesn't hurt

Quality is better than quantity.....

Adults need less food than growing juvies.....up feeding of high protein food to adults before a spawn

Smaller feeds more often is better than "pig out city" twice a day

Thank you Rod and Lilli!

I guess I just needed some assurance. I know my goldfish will eat till they bust if you let them, but wasn't sure about betta's. I'll spread her food out through the day a bit more. Need to increase my fish population to make raising live food more justifiable :) then I'll give more variety. How old is considered to be an full adult as opposed to a juvenile?

oopsies....i have been feeding my boys mosquito larvae till they stop eating them......their bellies would be huge almost like a female carrying eggs

lesson learnt

ps whats the deal with feeding boys a green pea? how often should this be done and do u cop it up or leave whole?

you feed a pea if your betta is constipated. I think you just squish the pulp of the pea so they can get to it. I have never done it, I don't think ... maybe once? Some people feed it weekly 'just in case', but I don't see much point.

You cook the pea first then remove the outer skin and squish in your fingers. I've only done it once. Not because I thought the fish was constipated. I was just curious to see if they would eat it. They did. But it's an extra thing to do in the fishroom and I can't be bothered.

Hey Bender - you can always try some FD bloodworms - I got mine from the pet store at Riverlink (in Ipswich lol) Apparently some don't like it - but all my lot go 'mad' for it haha (they jump for it when I put it in their tanks) My step niece's goldfish recently died so she went and got a Betta, we tried him out on the FD Bloodworms (I brought her a little box and gave her a talk about how to feed him etc - ie not to overfeed) - and her little fishie loved them as well.

Thanks Peta, I've been wondering about freeze dried, will have to get some. Mind you my betta population doubled on thursday. Now I have 2! This guy is not used to the hard pellets, he's ok if I soak them, but I'm sure he'd enjoy the bloodworms.

Frozen Bloodworms is a great way to go, they're quick and easy however one cube is way to much for one betta split it up they'll ove u for it, all of my fish go crazy for bloodworms lol my angels especially they'll race from the other side of the tank and inhale it..

A good variety of food is best you need to alternate foods, some dryed flake and frozen food is great, the freeze dried stuff takes a bit of nutrients out of the food so go live or frozen if u can.

With betta's there is not set age classifying them as adults, it depends on the way the breeder rears them (then again some can just be slow growers), some can reach full maturity in 3 months others can take six months upwards. Live or frozen foods bring them to maturity faster.

Hope this helps Aleisha

Archived