Most Expensive Betta Sold?

Notorious

The winner was able to buy the fish for a much more reasonable price afterward, if I remember correctly.

that itself sounds unreasonable to me. Unless there was something misleading about the auction description the prospective buyers shouldn't have been making bids they were unwilling to pay.

I haven't bought a betta for years but amongst my other fish I've bought and sold colonies (just 4 fish in one case) for prices getting pretty close to the $2k mark.

i saw one of the first spectacular tricolour HM out here.. the guy paid around $600 US for it... plus shipping and transport fees the fish was alot more. And the aussie dollar wasn't that fantastic at the time too so it ended up almost around the $1500 mark. Luckily the breeder was generous and threw in 2 girlies for him.

The other party in the bidding war was a german betta club that wanted this beauty for their club... the fish was gold, red and black. Very even colours... never can forget it!

Admittedly the most expensive pair i bought was a pair of true gold HMs for $600. The best value pair would be have been my coppers for $300 (if memory serves me correct)

Archived