HELP! - Strange Algae Growing in Tank

Guest Kitty

Hi

In the last few weeks I've had some kind of 'spider web' like green moss/algae (i don't really know what it is) growing in the tank.

75 litre tank with, all fish happy and healthy and all water parameters are OK. I fertilise with each water change.

It started growing out of the Java Moss balls and is growing at an incredible rate.

The best way I can describe it is that it looks like bright breen spider webs.

I am also getting green algae spots on the front of the tank.

Is this something I should be worried about and treat or am I panicking unneccessarily? I have never seen anything like this before.

Any advice appreciated.

I know its not an option for most but i was lucky enough to be given a filter with uv steriliser in it.......in 6 days i have seen black hair algae dissappearing b4 my eyes.

Im assuming since black algae is so hard to get rid of that a uv would be able to rid you of this type of algae.

I have the same problem in my 300ltr display tank. It has a fluval 305 canister filter and I do a half tank water change every two weeks but I found the best way to control the algae was to reduce the light. My lights now come on for 90mins in the morning so that I feed the fish in light, then they come back on at 4.30pm and go off again at 9pm. Thats a total of 6 hours at full light and about 10 hours at room light. All of the plants that I have in there are low light plants so they are all thriving but the algae is dying out. I don't fertilize this tank as it is currently overstocked with the guppies and cory's that are breeding in there and they provide more that enough fertilizer.

Archived