Rust coloured Algae

...has been steadily growing over the past couple of weeks. It's not taken over the tank yet, just a few leaves here and there and a patch on the

rear glass, but I know I need to do something about this real soon. Any suggestions? I've introduced a "siesta" period, for an hour, right in

middle of the day. I now have a 4.5 on/1 off/4.5 on light cycle. The only fert I have is an LPS bottle of "Plant Food", as well as the DIY Co2.

Thoughts?

Maybe do some homework and find out what it is and what it feeds on . Then illiminate the food source .

A UV strerilizer might be the go. You really need to know more about the algae itself. Some feed on certain trace elements which can be easily removed using things like phos.zorb or nitra.zorb. placed in to the filter medium. Dont please go for the quick fix and add algae killer , ive lost too many fish with this med. Good luck maybe post a pic if you can.

I've got this too, it's taken over with a vengeance in my 4ft and kinda sprang up over a period of 2-3 days! It started when I began using my new T5 light on a regular basis. I'm going to be cleaning the algae out today and only using the light for a few hours at night as I don't have plants in the tank so it's not necessary to have the light on all the time. I don't think it helps either that the fluoro tubes that came with the light aren't the right spectrum to reduce algae growth and promote plants etc so it's probably a good thing I don't have plants in there. I'm going to get some plant growth tubes for it soon though for no other reason than to limit algae growth.

Have done a little research (at work, Net time is limited), not alot of useful info yet... You know folks go out of their way to GROW

this stuff??!! What I have been wondering is maybe there aren't enough plants in my tank to dominate the algae. I only have a

few, an Anubia, some Java Moss and a couple stem plants, the nomenclature of which I have no idea. If I was to add a few more,

which I want to do anyway, would that help to starve the algae of any extra nutrients in the tank?

divy, can't use more CO2. I already have two 3L juice bottles running. The only thing I could do is upgrade to a pressure system

and, I'm afraid, I have not enough browny points saved up for that sort of thing... I'm still pushing for a better light and filter.

Few pointers for Ghengis to get brownie points:

Flowers for no 'apparent' reason

Foot/neck/back rubs

Do dishes/take out trash without being asked

Clean toilet without being asked

Cook a meal at least twice a week even if you aren't 'rostered' on that day

Make coffee/tea and tell partner to 'go sit down and relax, I'll bring it to you in a min' and add biscuits if you have any lol

If you are already doing all this I'm stumped as to why you don't have enough brownie points :( if not then I hope my suggestions have helped! hehehe

Good Luck

Few pointers for Ghengis to get brownie points:

Flowers for no 'apparent' reason

Foot/neck/back rubs

Do dishes/take out trash without being asked

Clean toilet without being asked

Cook a meal at least twice a week even if you aren't 'rostered' on that day

Make coffee/tea and tell partner to 'go sit down and relax, I'll bring it to you in a min' and add biscuits if you have any lol

If you are already doing all this I'm stumped as to why you don't have enough brownie points :balloons: if not then I hope my suggestions have helped! hehehe

Good Luck

:( Thanks for that! However;

She'd leave me on suspicion of cheating

She get's at least one back rub a fortnight (I get zero a year)

Do that already

Ditto above (although a little encouragement is often needed first...)

Can't cook (actually, I can, but nowhere near as well. This girl is a legend cook!)

She'd leave me on suspicion of cheating

What is a man to do??

She get's at least one back rub a fortnight (I get zero a year)

:( But tell the truth. I bet you get something in return for that back rub. :balloons:

Here's what you do.

1. Figure out the stuff she can't resist buying.

2. Next time you're both out and about, find some excuse to go past those shops.

3. Encourage her to go in but make some excuse to stay outside eg. I just gotta give [insert mate's name] a quick call, but you go in honey I'll just be outside. This is so that she faces temptation all on her own without you looking over her shoulder.

4. Keep an eye on her. If she doesn't look like she's going to take the bait you might have to go in and help.

5. Once she's made her purchase drop her off at home and you can go out and shop till your hearts content.

:cheer:

Hey guys, I just joined a really cool Forum!! It's called "AusAqua-Australian Fish Hobbyists and Marriage Counsellors".

Fantastic support, lot's of people with plenty of helpful advice for the hapless spouse/fishkeeper. Highly recommended. :(

A word of warning though, a few of the people there have problems staying on topic and some of them obviously have

far too much experience in relationship manipulation :balloons:

*cough* Red Algae? *cough*

Meddling in your personal life is much more entertaining than talking about Red Algae. :thumbs:

I think the siesta period is a good idea. I did that once with a tank that had every colour algae known to man. I read an article in a magazine which I can't seem to put my hands on at the moment that mentioned this as a good approach to get rid of algae. It worked really well in my tank. But when you say red algae are they diatoms? Maybe the PhosGuard would be a good idea as well. You can just use it periodically when the algae gets out of control and then remove it when things settle down.

Archived