Renovating Barracks

y2jdaze

I've decided to *renovate* my 12 bay death barracks and turn it into a 6 bay (hopefully happilly living) barracks, for this I need to remove the dividers and re-position them.

They're siliconed in pretty tightly and along the bottom, there's not much room to move to get anything down there to cut with.

I've succeeded in cutting away some of the silicon from ONE side of a few of the dividers but the other side is right up against the glass and I can't get a blade in there to cut through it.

Is there something else I can try before paying a professional to do it?

A blade is pretty much the only way to remove silicone. That's what professionals use. So if it's impossible to get a blade in there, I'm not sure what else can be done. Mineral turps will dissolve silicone a little bit but usually you still need to scrape it off with a blade. And the blades have to be super sharp. You buy a stack load of those utility blades. The ones with a sharp edge on one side and blunt on the other so you can hold it. As soon as the blade seems a bit blunt you chuck it out. But if you can't get the blade in between the pieces of glass then I dunno. Maybe if you try to get as much of the silicone off as possible you might be left with only a thin layer which will be weak enough to pry apart.

Get yourself some magnesium and line the silicone with it and set it alight lol... nah don’t do that....*remembers back to sparkler incident blowing glass apart in my bedroom setting the carpet alight* hahaha

Would some kind of acid work? You would think silicone would be very easily corroded by acid

Well I've persevered and after finding some tiny $2 shop blades I've had victory!

I've now removed all the dividers and now I'm up to cleaning out all the old silicone mess within the tank itself... after that a nice big total tank clean, bleach & salt to kill nasites, a bit of a rest and then decide how many bays I want and then put the dividers back in :)

Any advice on how to position the dividers and make sure they're:

1. straight

2. sealed entirely

3. without making a whole mess with siliconing them back in

i measured on the outside of the glass where i wanted to dividers to be and then i marked it with a black permanent marker and then when i siliconed them in i just lined them up with the marks i made

if you dont want silicon everywhere use masking tape and put it along each side of where the dividers will be

put a line of silicon on the divider and put it in place and then wet your finger and go along the sides of the glass for a smooth finnish

make sure you dont let the silicon dry before you take off the tape because when i did the silicon ripped and looked ugly

i hope i explained that ok :)

Any advice on how to position the dividers and make sure they're:

1. straight

2. sealed entirely

3. without making a whole mess with siliconing them back in

1. Work out where the dividers will go. Take a felt pen (Sharpie) and a tape measure an measure and mark on the floor and rear panel (ONLY).

2. Run a bead of silicone along each edge of a barrier (except the top) and set it in place.

3. Take a clean soft rag and dip into some Turps. Gently holding the barrier in palce, run the soaked cloth (wrapped around a finger) along the

siliconed edges. Be sure to use different parts of the cloth as you go, and MEASURE AND RE-MEASURE YOUR POSITIONING. This will ensure

accuracy. You must work reasonably quickly, as the silicone will "skin" in about five minutes.

Discard cloth for a new one and repeat steps two and three until done. hth.

EDIT: Divy beat me to it...dang.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK! It looks like I'm in usiness, I've cleaned it all up and changed it into a 6 bay now :lol: Don't worry I'll post pics soon, waiting for batteries to charge....Now just gotta wait for the silicon to seal properly etc. before I can test it for water tightness.

OK I found pics :o

Here's what the tank used to look like (some of you may vaguely remember it) (Sadly all of the fishies listed have since died)

12Bay.jpg

And here it is now! After I've pulled all the dividers out and replaced them, I've left the back alone as I'm keeping it so I can heat the whole tank, also the 2 thin bays on either end with the holes in them will only be used so the water from the back can flow to the sides, heating from 3 sides in essense.

This is top view.

PIC_0041.jpg

And a side view of it now.

PIC_0045.jpg

I've cleaned up the silicone a bit more and water tested it and so far it seems water tight. So now I just have to give it a really good rinse out and I can put fishies in it :((

Come make Shannon's barracks, then I might actually get one to use here! That way he doens't have to get off WOW and actually do something.

Love it though, looking good. Don't know how much luck u gonna have getting the water heated through the glass....glass isn't a great conductor of heat

Nice work on that silicon, y2! Come up real good. I doubt it'd have been easy to work in such a tight space...

After leaving my siliconed tank for a week, I filled it to the brim, let it sit o'night and drained it the next morning.

Just felt that this was better than just rinsing it out. If it's not too late, I'd suggest giving that a go with your

setup, just for the peace of mind...then you could spare a few hours for some "Perfect Push-ups" (pic 3) :P

Archived