Feeding Betta's...in a community tank.

Ghengis

I often see Betta's sharing tank space with other fish, both in places like this and in the petstores. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have an idea to keep a couple of females in my 70L once I begin stocking it, but I'm worried how I would go about feeding them, given that they have a different diet to "regular" Tropical fish; Betta Pellets, Bloodworm etc.

What are your experiences?

*Aplologies to those who've read this Question at FightingFish Forum. Many opinion make brain cleverer* :lol:

When i had some girls in a community tank i made a floating ring of air tubing which i trained the girls to come up to for feeding, of coarse this didnt stop them nicking off to eat the flakes and other fish steeling pellets but it helped.

I imagine you could train a betta to do almost anything for food. they're as bad as dogs

My girls are in a community tank and they hold their own quite well . Just make sure you offer all the inmates a variety of food and everyone will be OK.

Bettas are a adaptable fish and if theyre hungry they will eat whatever is offered ...My girls will eat whatever I give them and have no differnt needs to the rest of the community tank.

This is how theyve been treated from day one and I have no problems with them....The boys however who have been spoilt rotten are a differnt story again.

My girls will eat whatever I give them and have no differnt needs to the rest of the community tank.

This is how theyve been treated from day one and I have no problems with them....The boys however who have been spoilt rotten are a differnt story again.

Having raised 4 of my own children plus a couple of "official" foster children plus assorted "stray" children, I can heartily say that this applies not just to Bettas :lol:

I have betta in community tanks and they eat the same food that the other fish are fed, every other day though I feed food on one side and then hand feed the betta pellets one at a a time. I hold them over the water and he comes over and normally has about 4 or 5 before he loses interest.

I have betta in community tanks and they eat the same food that the other fish are fed, every other day though I feed food on one side and then hand feed the betta pellets one at a a time. I hold them over the water and he comes over and normally has about 4 or 5 before he loses interest.

Whoa! How many feeds does he get a day? I feed mine two pellets, twice a day...although that may occasionally be stretched to three from time to time.

• 3 weeks later...

I have heaps of girls in my community tank and I have found it quite easy at feeding time. Usually I feed the greedier community fish their food first and then sprinkle the betta food in. Everyone seems happy and I have found my girls eating fish flakes! So much for them being snobs. LOL :whistling:

All my fish in the community tank (female bettas, guppies and BN) get pellets, bloodworm, blackworm and brine shrimp. Everyone gets food, they just have a feeding frenzy. I haven't found that female bettas diet doesn't differ all that much to a tropical fish's diet as they themselves as tropical fish. The so called 'betta pellets' don't really have anything special in them as far as I can tell and are just as nutritious as regular protein pellets. Of course the aim is to feed all fish a varied diet of live/frozen live foods, pellets, flakes and vegies etc to keep them happy and healthy.

Hi everyone :)

Just the topic I have been looking for also ! :)

I have just recently become the proud new owner of a SFF, ( the first time I have owned one), and was wondering about this same question ?

I've only had him for about 3 days ( he came out of one of those small containers), and the LFS lady gave me some pellets to feed him ( and advised me about blood worms)

So far when i drop the pellet in, he doesn't seem to want it, and the guppies go and grab it ! grrrrr ( they look like those clowns when they have those nose things on hehe)

This morning, after having read this post, I decided to try to feed the other fish their flakes on the other side of the tank, and then gave him his pellet on the other side, where he hangs out mostly..

I think he may have swallowed it?

I'm yet to get some frozen blood worms ( i do have some frozen shrimp in freezer already that i give the other fish every few days)

I'm not sure how many pelletst to acually give him? ( they are tiny), and when i get the frozen worms, how many?

I perhaps should start a whole new post, sorry to ramble on in yours Ghengis ... ( just thought I would while we are on the subject ) :P

If you have a community tank with a SFF, do you feed once or twice a day ( i have always just fed my normal fish once in the mornings)

The penny just dropped as to what an SFF is... :) (they're called Betta's around here, the whole "Fighter" tag thing

is not very fish PC :) Don't worry, it's taken me a while to get that hint also...)

My little girl still won't take flake, and the pellets seem too big for her little mouth. I find if I split a couple with my fingernail,

she is happy with that. And yes, juggling flake on one side of the tank and splitting pellets on the other, before the Tetra's

wake up to what's going on, is a mission. But neccessary...

When I feed blood worms, I find a quarter of one of those frozen blocks is more than enough for one fish.

And don't worry about hijacking this Thread...it's not "my" thread, as such...I just started it.

The penny just dropped as to what an SFF is... :) (they're called Betta's around here, the whole "Fighter" tag thing

is not very fish PC ;) Don't worry, it's taken me a while to get that hint also...)

My little girl still won't take flake, and the pellets seem too big for her little mouth. I find if I split a couple with my fingernail,

she is happy with that. And yes, juggling flake on one side of the tank and splitting pellets on the other, before the Tetra's

wake up to what's going on, is a mission. But neccessary...

When I feed blood worms, I find a quarter of one of those frozen blocks is more than enough for one fish.

And don't worry about hijacking this Thread...it's not "my" thread, as such...I just started it.

Hi again Ghengis a010.gif

Oops I had no idea about them being called Bettas until someone just told me in a fish thread on a dog forum i am on eeek l9iblush.gif. I thought Betta was just another name for some types of tropical fish !

I sure have a lot to learn, that's why I thought i should join a fish forum :)

Thanks for your tip with how you feed your girl ! :P

I got desperate today, and bought some dried black worms, and a separate container to feed him in ( not sure what they call, but you drop them into the tank) ?

I might give those blood worm frozen blocks a go to later ! :)

Thanks again!

Have a lovely weekend :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well mine has been eating anything i give him or the other fish (including tropical fish flakes). I've had no problems satisfying his appetite.

They do get a selection of different food throughout the week:)

I don't feed him seperatly anymore, but will hand feed on occasions to make sure he doesn't go without :P

Ive put myself on a budget and instead of having upteen different types pf food for each species I now have frozen bloodworm for evry one , bottom feeder tabs for the corys and BN and New Life spectrum community pellets for evry one also.....my fighters love them and I think they look better than ever in colour and are active and healthy.

Archived