Tiger Oscar Freaking me out!

Anasfire

Ok my tiger Oscar named Logan is freaking me out. I turned on the tank light for the first time today and his colour was all drained, he actually looked a sickly shade of green and stayed that way for a good 10 minutes. He only changed back (and kind of all of a sudden) when I got close to the tank and dropped a few pellets in for him. I thought at first he was trying to imitate the tiger barbs in the tank, they are mostly males (if not all) and are displaying metallic green over their black stripes.

Does anyone else have a tiger oscar who does this? Beano does buzz do it? And if so WHY??

Ok my tiger Oscar named Logan is freaking me out. I turned on the tank light for the first time today and his colour was all drained, he actually looked a sickly shade of green and stayed that way for a good 10 minutes. He only changed back (and kind of all of a sudden) when I got close to the tank and dropped a few pellets in for him. I thought at first he was trying to imitate the tiger barbs in the tank, they are mostly males (if not all) and are displaying metallic green over their black stripes.

Does anyone else have a tiger oscar who does this? Beano does buzz do it? And if so WHY??

I've had tiger oscars in the past, and they sort of lose colour when they get sudden exposure to light? I think it's the same for a lot of cichlids as well. :/ I don't think it's anything to worry about, it's problem just the fish being scared by the sudden light? Try living in darkness and having a spotlight turned on all of a sudden..haha! :dontknow:

All the dark ones change colour, one of ours gets white stripes of a night only and loses all his orange then, can be all black or get his spots at different times, it's pretty normal. The white ones can lose their orange at times as well, very linked to their emotions with the Oscars (we have 4 at present). If's it overcast (or dark) I always turn a room light on before I turn on the tank lights.

cheers

Deb

Thanks guys, yeah he's ok now. I think it was just the light. I just went into a totally dark room and switched on the fluoro suppose that'd have scared me too! He's back to normal today, trying to eat my son's fingers when he feeds him etc. It just really freaked me out, I've seen him scared and pale before but he was almost white that time...or at least a light shade of grey, this time he was green!!! Scary stuff lol. (I only say he coz he's got a boys name...no idea of the actual sex lol)

Thanks again everyone who answered.

I had one that would lay on the bottom of the tank on his side ( and lose colour ) , at first sight youd swear he was dead then when the light had been on for a few minutes hed swim around normally.

Id bought him from Sth Windsor Hatchery and was going to take him back but the owners said it was normal and that he was sleeping.

He was a quirky little dude and would only eat from your fingers and would rub against your arm when doing water changes.

yeah Logan likes to eat pellets from between my thumb and forefinger...stops the tiger barbs nicking off with them too lol and he loves being used as my betta culler. Any deformed ones go to him and he loves chasing them down. I might get him some small feeder fish next time I'm at the LFS as a treat. He's big enough now to eat them. I only just realised how much he's grown today when he tried to chase a tiger barb into the holes in the lava rock and he can't fit any more, he used to sleep in it!

I wouldn't feed him LFS feeder fish, you never know what infections they could be harbouring. My oscars are crazy, both of them (in different tanks cause one is a lot smaller than the other) almost knock themselves out jumping to get food and Fang; my older and bigger oscar often goes that greeny colour but goes back to normal after a few minutes

My oscar loved earthworms straight from the vegie patch and chopped prawn , they do like the thrill of catching thier own dinner and the earth worm wasnt a real challenge.

How does the feeder fish thing work ?? I imagine you keep them alive and healthy in a separate tank and feed them live.

Yeah I beleive so. I'd planned to get them and put them in a spare tank I have here. Just treat them with multi-cure and quarantine for a week or so then use them. U can also get feeder crays but I'm guessing u'd have the same quarantine issues with them. Might just have to spawn more bettas and use the deformed ones as live food. He also enjoys guppy fry that have kinks in them :dontknow:

Oh yeah, Buzz does this all the time! He changes colour as a threat to me! He's usually a grey-ish black with his orange spots, but then if I walk in the room after he's been home all day, he flares out his gills and changes to this pasty white-grey colour and shimmies his tail to let me know I've just entered "his" study. Yeah right, Buzz, this is MY study!

If he's hungry and he's threatening me with his colour and gill flare, I just shake the food in front of the tank and he turns black again and does the feed me dance.

Also, when he was younger, if I arrived home before the sun went down and turned the light on from complete darkness, I think it blinds them temporarilly - if I fed him then it was like he didn't know the food was in the tank but would eat it after about 10 minutes.

They are full of colour changes usually, moody little things.

Lol that's cute.. Logan does the feed me dance too and I swear he does the puppy dog eyes. He's a professional food beggar, every time i walk past he looks up at me and I just can't refuse those sad little eyes! No wonder he's growing fast, if he keeps eating the way he does he'll be full grown by next month!

Yeah they're so cute. Poor Buzz, as if I wasn't a big enough threat to his study, now he has the new Fluval filter intake and outlet tubes to contend with! I haven't caught him biting them yet, but I suspect I will soon.

Yeah logan doesn't like his filter either, it's meant for a 60L tank but it's so strong even in the 4ft (200L i think) that I can't imagine any fish being able to swim in a 60L with it!! He usually hides under the outlet so he doesn't get blown around the tank and he HATES the tiger barbs in there with a passion...always chasing them. But I don't think it helps that they're all fighting at the moment and showing mating colours (metallic green on their black stripes) so he's extra annoyed with them. I'm sure if they don't start growing at the same rate he is they'll become a tasty snack sooner or later.

I'll have to take some decent pics of him soon, maybe after I move coz the tank will get a through clean out then.

I used to had an internal power filter rated 2400L/h, which I doubt was ever true, but it still did a fantastic job, but it's become weaker so I got him the new flashy job. I'm just leaving the old one in there for about a month - if it even lasts that long... until the bacteria grow in the new filter.

Mine is in with 2 silver dollars, he used to chase them all the time but now he realises he will never catch them, too zippy for him. What he does now is just drifts toward them and they generally move out of the way before his mouth reaches them, but he doesn't charge at them anymore!

Here's some rush job photos - I really need to clean the glass!

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0107-1.jpg

yes Buzz has a crooked jaw, I call him a Slackjawed yokel sometimes. In these photos he's in grey/black mode. You can see him flaring his gills out a bit in the 2nd shot, but he does flare them out way more than that, makes him look like a psycho!

Yeah he's still very young, only got him like 3 months ago but he used to fit in the hole in that lava rock but he doesn't any more (although it looks as though he still would, he doens't go in there coz he got stuck once and I hadda pull him out)

Archived