New betta:)

Marianne

I bought a CT at the pet store this evening. Very cool fish in my opinion:)

He's red, with some kinda aqua thing happening on his body, and the tips of his tail are black. I'm quite happy:) It's pretty dark now, and I don't like to flash fish when I don't have to, so I'll try to get some pics and post them tomorrow:)

He's still settling in, and keeps flaring at the side of the tank. Must be a reflection.

aw he's a very nice red ct :dontknow: that blue thing is irridescence :D some people love it, some don't, I personally love Irrid :P

looks like you picked a cute personality fishy too :D well done!

looks a little like the boy in my avatar over there but with double rays.

Yeah, I love this betta, he's so cool:D

I love the irridescence too, makes him special:)

And dunno if you can see it very well in the photos, but the top 2/3 of each eye is red, while the bottom 1/3 is light blue. It's adorable:)

Thanks:) How common is the bicolour in the eyes? I've never seen that before.. or never noticed it.

I'm having trouble deciding a name at the mo.. First I thought Mars (god of war - fighter, red planet - red fish) but then I thought I'd be different and name him Balder after the Norse god of peace, but then the word Oxynoxis popped into my head, which is weird and different (I liked weird and different things:)) so I'm leaning towards that at the moment. I googled oxynoxis and apparently there's no such word:D

He was actually bought from one of the better pet stores. He was kept in a container with about 500 ml of water and they'd even given him some gravel. Not great, but better than the tiny cups with 100 ml of water. But yeah, he seems pretty happy with a proper tank, he's hardly sat still all day, he's been swimming around almost constantly, only stopping to have a look at the mystery snail once in a while:)

Oden/Odin is a cool name too, and much easier to pronunce than Oxynoxis:D

How do I get him to eat? I bought some betta pellets thingies when I got him, so you'd think that's what they fed them at the pet store. But he won't touch them! I tried a couple last night, I dropped them in the water right in front of him, and also did the same thing a few mins ago. He's *very* interested in looking at them, he follows them around, but he doesn't even try to eat them.

he might still be settling in, sometimes they will refuse to eat for a while, fear not they can last weeks without food so there's plenty of time to work something out :)

How big are the pellets? if they are a decent size they might be too big for him, try to crush them into pieces and see if that helps him any.

Oh and remember if he doesn't eat his food within 10 minutes you'll have to remove it otherwise it will foul the water (and who would like rotting food in their house yuck!)

You can also try him on different kinds of foods.. frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp etc, live blackworms, freze dried bloodworm, blackworm & brine shrimp if you find he just won't eat the pellets, or try a different kind of pellet. try giving him some cooked pea - this will help his digestion, constipation issues etc and all mine absolutely love it (i just whack a frozen pea into a plastic eggcup of water and microwave then cut up into betta bitesize pieces)

I replied to this yesterday, but my post isn't here....?

Anyway, what I said was that I took a dried tubifex worm from my livebearer food and put it in the betta tank, and he followed it around for a while before charging in and eating it all in one go. That was cool:)

I'll give him a few more days to accept the pellets, I don't think they are too big, but if he refuses to eat them I will try something else. Thanks:)

Archived