fish out of water

rabbit3333shane

my girlfeiend recently visited me for a few days ,when she returned home she couldnt find her favourite betta, he had dissapeared . After about 2 hours she found him on da floor behind da table which his tank was on,he was black and looked very DEAD ,but when he was picked up he almost jumped out of her hand, :dontknow: he was put back in his tank and spawned 2 weeks later.I would not have believed this story but i have read that bettas in da wild will bury themselves inmud during dry seasons and go into a kind of hybanation..it is impossible to tell just how long he was on da floor but it was at least 2 hours anywhere up to 3 days...wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience...

Heres a little story that will make ones eyes open, I have a 3 tier barrack setup which the water flows from the top level down thru each level, eventually into the main holding tank, I was sitting at my pc about 3 months ago at 11.30pm and heard a noise, so I looked over at each barrack setup and one of the males jumped into the waterflow areas down to the 2nd level, so I turn off the pump to try and get him out, but seeing that area is only about 1/2 an inch wide, it was near impossible, but I did try for just over one hr, but in the end I relented as it had me beat. so i left the pump off as the male was still in there and it would of overflowed, so the next morning at 8am i set myself to getting the other males out and emptying the tank, I then turn the tank on its side and ran some water in it backwards to flush my dead fish out, now the water only bought him about 1 inch from the top, so I put my finger there to drag my poor dead fishy out, when I touched him he wiggled and scare the living hell out of me :(( considering he was suppose to be dead, the moral of this story is, this fish survived a total of 8 hrs without a drop of water :blink: I placed him in a small holding tank and within minutes he was swimming around, although beat up some what he recovered fully and I spawned him nearly 3 weeks ago and turned out to be one of the best father I have seen, so i dont doubt for 1 second that the other fish survived a few hrs out of water..

he is full of surprises we bought him about 2 mounths ago as a female but like i said he has spawned once and i am conditioning now ...it was a nightmare when we still thought he was female it was the only female my girlfriend had and when IT was put with a beautiful royal blue ct it took about 30 seconds to give the ct a really short fincut :blink: but still now when i put him next to a male IT stripes up like a female :(( figure he is very young maybe 6 mths or so..

lol I had a yellow vt once that used to jump out at least once a week and he'd be out for hours until I found him... he musta jumped out at least 4 or 5 times and survived them all... even found him stuck halfway down the back of the bookcase once!

I had a 'female' like that once, stuck 'her', a male and a female into the spawn tank coz i figured 2 females are better than one and it couldn't hurt. I just put their lip locking and wrestling down to courting coz I'd never seen a pair spawn before. Needless to say I was shocked when I worked out it was a short finned male, although amazingly the one that i knew was a male spawned with the one i knew was a female while the trans-gendered one was in there!! I managed to get a spawn with 2 males and 1 female in a 12L tank..and it was my first after like 25 failed attempts.

I've only lost two to jumping out of the water she was on top of my computer desk that has a shelf above it and I found her the next morning behind the computer monitior, I even had the container she was in covered but I guess I must have left too big a gap after I feed her, and the other was the second betta I owned and he jumped into the sink when I was cleaning his tank and went down the drain :D I've had other jumpers but thats usually the females at feeding time and most of the time I have managed to catch them and put them back. :D

Have had 2 jump out, they ended up dry and crispy on the carpet :dontknow:

I used to keep a snakehead back home in Malaysia before I moved over to Australia in a tub at the back of the house. Was a big one too, weighed at least 1.5 kg. Fish jumped out one day and I couldn't find it. when't looking all over the garden for the bugger. Found it like 15 hours later next to a pot and still alive. I have no idea how it survived the sun and all..that's one tough fish.

Archived