Discussion on improving the IBC show standards for the 3 plakat types, at Bettas4all.nl

splendidbetta

Hello everyone,

I am posting to inform you of a serious discussion at bettas4all.nl about improving the IBC show standards for the 3 Plakat classes:

Asymmetrical (Traditional) Plakat

Asymmetrical (Show) Plakat

Symmetrical (Show) Plakat

Joep has constructed a new standards proposal that is currently being considered by the IBC judging board. Meanwhile the new standards are being discussed in the Show Standards sub-forum of the Bettas4All forum and this will help to change the way the 3 classes are defined.

As this is a very important development in this hobby, I hope you can participate in this thread:

http://bettas4all.nl/viewtopic.php?t=1239

Thank you.

To AAQ administrators: Please feel free to remove the link if you deem it unacceptable.

Well to start with what does the IBC do for Austarlia as i dont know?.

How many shows does the IBC host in Australia?

Shouldnt we have our own standards here.

I mean this country here should have the standards to suit the breeders from here not other countries.

Well thats my opinion.

Of course we can have our own standards. Who's going to write them? The IBC doesn't run shows anywhere. It provides the standards, some guidelines, and then the local clubs host and run the shows. And this thread wasn't about joining the IBC. It was about joining in a discussion about IBC standards and perhaps influencing the final outcome regardless of whether or not you're an IBC member.

Of course we can have our own standards. Who's going to write them? The IBC doesn't run shows anywhere. It provides the standards, some guidelines, and then the local clubs host and run the shows. And this thread wasn't about joining the IBC. It was about joining in a discussion about IBC standards and perhaps influencing the final outcome regardless of whether or not you're an IBC member.

Please note they are valid questions!! If i dont know what the IBC does why would i get into a discussion on guidelines.

And i cant see anywhere i mentioned joining.

They are valid questions. All depends on what sort of breeding you want to do or goals you have.

For an example, I used to be a member of the IBC, I never entered in any shows that were run by Betta Australis (AU chapter of the IBC) because I was slack. I wished I did though!

I breed for colour, shape and patterns. Last time I spawned, I was using fish that were Metallic and Marble Geno. I love both. Some breeders do not like the Marble gene because it is a pain to breed out. I personally don't care, as I do this for pleasure :lol: I have kept 3 bettas from that spawn and they are absolutely beautiful HM's!

I am just saying, don't worry too much for "high IBC standards" if you really don't want too. However, reading up on the standards and keeping them in mind is important as some traits in fish are not always desirable as it can impact on their well being i.e Massive caudals that impede a fish being able to swim well etc.

Read the standards, learn a lot, but try not to get disheartened because your current fish has 40+ major faults!

As for that thread, I agree with the Plakat shape, some are just horrible out there and seems to be deviating away from what used to be around even 4-5 years ago. Joep is a great advocate for the Betta hobby :D .

It really comes down to where we want the hobby to go in the future?

I don't think we'd get any standards off the ground as the hobby currently stands. Not enough breeders are interested in working on all aspects and most tend to focus on breeding "pretty" fish but aren't interested in form or genetics to the larger extent.

JMHO

We've diverted away from the intent of this thread somewhat. Correct me if I'm wrong Stefan, but I think the intent was simply to let AAQ folk know that there was a discussion taking place. We've ended up discussing whether or not we should join the discussion which seems bizarre to me.

Here are some reasons why I think the IBC plakat standards discussion is relevant to us. Some of us may be interested in keeping abreast of the way the betta hobby is developing in the rest of the world. Since many Thai breeders breed to the IBC standard, you may be interested to know what your AquaBid plakats are going to look like in the years to come. If you are an experienced breeder of plakats and have been line breeding with specific goals in mind, you may even wish to provide input into the discussion. I think it would be pretty cool if an Australian was able to influence significantly the shape of future plakats.

Regardless of how many IBC sanctioned shows are run in this country, the IBC standards do have an impact on the Australian betta breeder. The fact that most of our breeding stock comes from breeders who breed against those standards is the first thing that comes to mind. The next thought that comes fast on the heels of the previous one is that the only betta shows run recently in this country have been run and judged by IBC certified judges. Despite the show not being IBC sanctioned, what do you think they're going to use to measure your betta against the next one?

If you're interested in the shape of plakats, go read the discussion in the other forum. If you breed plakats a lot then take an active part in shaping it's future by providing input. Don't just sit back and whine that the only PKs on AquaBid have short, stumpy ventrals. If you want to talk about the state of the betta hobby in Australia, or whether there should be Australian standards, let's start another thread.

Archived