frozen Baby Brine Shrimp

jusdeb

I bought some frozen bbs this morning , fed them to fish and noticed they looked furry , like they have a dozen legs. Is this normal? They have a strong odour too..not off but fishy. Ive bought frozen bloodworms too but they dont smell which is probably why I noticed the bbs smell......Also are these to be used as treats or staple part of diet????

If they look funny taste them and see if they are off or not... *jokes* :D not sure what there meant to look like. Someone else might know?

About them being a treat or not... you can feed them daily but it would be good to have your fish on a variety of food... you could alternate between dry and frozen foods.

To what sort of fish??

I'd generally use a live food, or a frozen live food, as a treat, not more than three times a week... a good quality flake or pellet is designed to give the amino acids, protein, carbohydrates and fats that fish need - and a 'community' food is never quite as good as a species dedicated food - too much live food is just as bad as none at all though, from a dietary standpoint - some fish can't process the additional protein or fats from live food, others can get constipated from it - so all things in moderation applies...

I give a variety of foods, mixing and matching what I feed to the tankmates... if I've given the BN's vegetables the day before, I may skip the algae tablet the next day, 'cos I know their tummies are full, and what they need they can scavenge in the tank for the day... if the congos had some dried shrimp, they don't need their preferred tropical crisps, they can go on flake for the next feed... it stops them getting bored with one food, and enables different fish to get their preferred food on a reasonably regular basis...

just my bettas as my community tank (mostly gouramis) gets dried krill/dried tubifex/bloodworms/flakes with spirulina/betta pellets and now brine shrimp so I think their covered...the bettas will only eat bloodworms , pellets and brineshrimp any thing else sinks to the floor untouched.. I just dont know at what ratio they should get these...Id also like to start giving them a cooked pea prior to fasting one day a week..

With the bettas I'd do an alternate between pellets, bloodworms (frozen and freeze dried) and the frozen brine shrimp. I'd probaby feed the brine shrimp one or 2 days, the blood worms say 2 days and pellets for the rest of the days alternating of course so there's variety (in a perfect world where you actually stick to a regime unlike me who just feeds them whatever, whenever lol)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived