Meet Jacques

Callatya

well, he ain't gunna stay petite!

This is Jacques, named for the busy little cleaner shrimp in Finding Nemo. Jacques is a macrobrachium ("big arm") shrimp, M. rosenbergii, also known as a cherabin, or giant freshwater shrimp. They aren't kidding about the giant thing, these babies get up to 12" long! Currently the little guy is only about 15cm, so he's got some growing to do. :(

He is TOTALLY AWESOME! I have found the magic again, I'm sitting in front of his tank having a cuppa just staring at him, he is just that fascinating.

normal_Prawn%20-%20head%20on%2001.jpg

normal_Prawn%20-%20side%20markings%2002.

Now I have to find him some swimming nibblies to keep him busy :(

Even when small they'll eat fish much larger than themselves, especially at night when the fish sleep... they can be fed on snails, if you don't fancy feeding them live tankmates - a couple of macrobrachium can clean a 2 footer of a snail infestation quite successfully, eating them faster than they can breed... if you had a tank for the snails to feed to the shrimp, you'd probably go OK though...

I'd expect he'd be quite happy with small pieces of fish, or shrimp, from a fishmonger or supermarket, too...

He is a real Fingers McGee! I've been giving him shrimp pellets until it heats up enough to grab him some mozzie fish (they have fantastic survival skills) and he manages to drag 4 around at once! So far he's eaten everything I've thrown at him. :D Little piggie! I'm setting up a feeder breeding tank so he should never be sort of food to play with. I think he really needs the stimulation too, he's quite a cluey little guy and I reckon he could get bored easily. Providing he doesn't obliterate the fish within a few hours, I'm happy for him to work his way through a few over time. If he's well fed and the temperature stays low he should be a bit restrained about it... I think.

I've had a slightly different species before, but they ended up with some sort of flesh necrosis that I couldn't ID. They are brilliant hunters. I was expecting them to be like yabbies, but these guys motor along and catch the fish while they are swimming! It is fascinating.

• 1 month later...

Archived