Silver dollars

fuzzy_dragonfly

I bought 3 silver dollars from a market about 2 months ago at a bargain price I couldn't refuse and the only plant they haven't completely destroyed in the java fern and anther fern I forget the name of. They pick at the finer leaved plants but it takes then a while to devour all the leaves. For now I've mixed live and synthetic plants in the tank and replace the live plants every now and again. I will even remove certain plants and leave them to recover in a water drum out the back. Does anyone have any other plant suggestions?

The silver dollars are approx 8cm, 1/2 full size and growing fast! I did try to part with them but as luck would have it the pet store I was going to swap with was closed and I decided to keep the little rascles.

BTW the synthitic ones don't look half bad nowdays, you can get pretty good lifelike ones ;)

You'll find the silver dollars, like goldfish, will eventually make it to the Java Fern, too - I think they start off when they happen across the young shoots of new leaves/plants, and then realise it IS destroyable after all... plants, or silver dollars... your choice...

My silver dollars ate my anubia down to the stems. It took a year to grow back. They did sample the java fern, but they won't touch it now - they seem to hate it.

Archived