Poor little tetra's

Tuataress

:fun: I had my complete tetra population wiped out by accidently knocking the heater.

13 neon tetra and 4 congo tetras died from the rise in temperature, (90F) poor little puppies :fun:

I noticed the night before they were all acting out of character - a word for all:

check the conditions if you notice any abnormal behaviour!

(I think Tuataress is a girl) :fun:

I'm really sorry to hear that! We had that 45C new years day last year (start of 2006) that killed a few of my old timers, so I can relate. It's so frustrating, especially when you know a little mistake made such a big difference.

I knocked out 5 of 8 neons one day when I was a newer fish keeper - I poured in the replacement water - 2 minutes later the neons were all sick looking - I forgot to dechlorinate. The guppies on the other hand were swimming merrily through it as if it was nothing...

I thought neons were supposedly all wild type ones because they're too hard to breed? And as such they are soooo touchy to different water conditions? That's the rumour I heard anyway, could just be a lie from LFS to get people to think they came from the wild...

Huge amounts of neons are wild caught - even huger amounts are captive bred... they're tricky to breed in a home aquarium, but downright easy in cultivation tanks and on fish farms - millions of neons are caught in the wild, from the likes of the Rio Solimões and Rio Negro, but millions are bred, too - the US sees 1.5 million neons imported into the country EVERY month...

Most farmed neons come from either Thailand, Hong Kong or Singapore - in some ways that's good, farmed tetras are more tolerant of water conditions not being so perfect as wild, but they're also much less hardy than wild caught in good conditions - indeed, in many cases, you need to overbuy neons to ensure you get enough survivors when you put them in your tank... it just depends on your supplier/store - I've not lost one yet (touch wood) but then they're in a tank very carefully set up for dwarf cichlids, who are intolerant of bad water conditions too...

Archived