g.day

brother bear

Howdy all my name is Jamie but all my mates call me brother bear

i've just got into betta's over the last few months i've always liked the veil tails you see in the pet shops but i'm discovering how plain they are compared to all the species there are now.

My starting stock consists of 4 females i bought from a pet shop i'm not sure of the technical name for these they have short fins and a single tail i have 2 blue, 1 red, and 1 white with red fins, i also have 1 blue veil tail male, 1 crown male blue body & red fins. i also have a torquise butterfly half moon i just bought from aussie batta's

i've currently got the HM in with the white female to see what happens but i think she might be a prude as she has been in the tank for 3 days now and she has not put out so to speak

so anyway g.day

Hi brother bear! Welcome. Sounds like you've got some reasonable starting stock to play with. Watch your female doesn't get to badly bashed up. You could try separating her for a day or so and then put her back in. Or sometimes the sight of another female can encourage her to spawn.

Thanks guys

i was thinking of pulling her out and putting one of my blues in as i only bought the white female a few days before i put her in the breeding tank it was probably to soon for her, but she is quite striking in colour and i was keen to see what i would get

thanks bettarazzi

i've been looking into the genetics and i'm ready to have a go at a punnet square but i'm not sure what codes to use for a HM BF and the female i bought from the pet shop do they have any codes or a special name, i'm trying to work out how many of the fry will have the half moon and the butterfly

i also have another question i'm not sure if this is the right spot so i apologize in advance

i've been informed by a pet shop owner that betta fry will kill each other from the day they are free swimming is this true or is it a crock of ****, this was her answer to my question that i had 40 eggs hatch and after 4 weeks i went to transfer them into the grow out tank and there was only 16 left.

She also told me that betta's can drown she said that my 3ft grow out tank was to big this sounded like a load of bull i've never heard of a fish that can drown( apart from a shark )

i also have another question i'm not sure if this is the right spot so i apologize in advance

i've been informed by a pet shop owner that betta fry will kill each other from the day they are free swimming is this true or is it a crock of ****, this was her answer to my question that i had 40 eggs hatch and after 4 weeks i went to transfer them into the grow out tank and there was only 16 left.

:P thats one of the better ones I've heard in a while! If you get big differences in fry size as they grow the larger ones will prey on the smaller ones. People sometimes sort their fry according to size if this is a problem. Otherwise agression usually only comes as the males mature and its a simple matter of removing the aggressors one by one as they appear.

She also told me that betta's can drown she said that my 3ft grow out tank was to big this sounded like a load of bull i've never heard of a fish that can drown( apart from a shark )

I like this one too! :P

This true in as much as a betta can drown if they aren't able to reach the surface of the water for an extended period of time.. they are labyrinth fish, so also breath air. Drowning because the tank is too large is a pile of malarky though. What do they do during the wet season in the wild? Suddenly panic and drown? :P

ROFL That's one of the most important services that pet shop owners provide to their customers and the community in general: making you feel really, really intelligent by making ridiculously stupid statements. Someone give the woman an Order of Australia for services to the community. I mean really, why couldn't she just have said something like, "You know, I'm not the expert on bettas, never bred them before. But I've got this fabulous book by Walt Maurus which will tell you everything you need to know. Only $24.95, they sell out really fast, only one left. Now I know bettas like to be warm, have you got enough heaters?"

yes i've been researching for a few weeks now since i bought the HM from aussie betta's unfortunatly the female did not make, i'm having trouble with the codes for the punnet square everywhere i have looked do not have a code for a torquise half moon butterfly and of course the females i have are going to be a lucky dip since they are from my local LFS so whi knows what they have in them so i guess i'll do it and see what i get

unless someone has a halfmoon female for sale

Love the BF HM really nice and a great even pattern too by the looks of it :P Hopefully he'll pass that on to his offspring :P

That crowny boy looks very similar to the one I've got (who currently has white spot... bastard) love his bright red fins, very nice :P

Try to get some pics of your girls too, that way we could try to tell you what they are :P

oh and welcome :P

~Stacey

you'd need to do separate punnet squares for each characteristic. Eg one for butterfly only, one for turquoise.

Not sure if butterfly is dominant or recessive, so can't suggest a code you could try. The codes aren't as important as what they represent, for example, if butterfly is dominant, JUST SAY you used X to denote butterfly, you'd know your fish's genotype was either XX or Xx.

Have a look at the site of one of our members, joep (betta territory), it has some excellent info on genetics.

HM is not a mendelian characteristic, ie, if you cross 2 HMs you won't necessarily get all/any/any percentage of HMs. "HM" is a combination of characteristics, including genes that control webbing, branching and symmetry. You can cross 2 HMs and get nothing but deltas (trust me, I speak from experience). If breeding a good HM was as easy as crossing 2 HMs, our lives would all be pretty boring!

Any more discussion re genetics can go in the genetics forum :P. The answer you're after may even already be there!

ok here's my other fish

this is my white female with red fins & my red female

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z13/Mac...SC_0426-web.jpg

this is my blue female i have 2 similar colour

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z13/Mac...SC_0429-web.jpg

this is my young female from my first batch she is 4months old the parents were my red female and my veil tale male, the little dear is a bit beat up but she is coming good

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z13/Mac...SC_0435-web.jpg

this is my best young male i kept from the same batch, i should say that my first batch was only 16 fish

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z13/Mac...SC_0419-web.jpg

this is my veil tale

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z13/Mac...SC_0420-web.jpg

thanks for looking and i'm sorry boss about the genetic question

BB

is that blue female blue or maroon lol... interesting colour.

that young male looks similar to one of my deltas, way cool colour hey.

i have a VT male with white body/red fins that would go nice with your red/white female, i called him george (st george dragons) lol.

you have some nice looking fish there.

Hey.... that green red male's colouration reminds me a lot of Stacey's boy, Jardy.

Oh yeah.... don't apologise to Lilli aka Lisa. It makes her grumpy when people think she's the boss of the forum. Phil is the boss. I am the Chief Troll and Assistant Thread Hijacker. It's alright, you'll soon learn who's who. :P

Thanks guys

i'm pretty happy with my young boy they were my first attempt, i'm going to get the wife out with her nikon and some better lighting to give a better pic with colour, how are you guys posting pics directly onto the page as i could not find were to do it and i had to join photobucket tonight just to show you guys

nope not me, i get 10mb of webspace from optus!!! i rock!!! haha Lisa is the boss though!!! :P ill get my bum kicked for that one.

yep and mike knows everything about every thread, thats why he always has something to add, hes like an unofficial database in his mind. and me, i just write rubbish that no one reads so if you got this far well done to you!

oh and dont let Phil influence you because its bad, he made Lilli buy a million fish and i dont know if i want oscars any more because of his half panda half quarter half black guppies.

Yep, Ned and I are basically the Laurel and Hardy of the forum. You don't wanna listen to either of us. Hey Ned, you better leave some tank room for my half yellow, half blue, half double sword guppies. Yep, you read that right. Three halves!!. :(

Archived