Banning MORE plants?

I was just browsing around the online aquarium shops, this one in particular had something interesting. There is a notice that the government has put forward a proposal to ban these plants in the same way that they have banned elodea.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

I can't find anything nationally or on the NSW site, but maybe someone else knows something?

NSW weeds list

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/noxw...CZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D

http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/reader/weeds

Thoughts?

there are native species which fall under both of those genus/common name so i dont see how it can be enforced, seems silly but anything to protect our local waterways is important, even though there are species that have been banned they havent been actively removed from waterways.

natives include

Limnophila australis

Hygrophila angustifolia

Limnophila brownii

The links are to the already banned stuff, I can't find the proposal at all. I suppose it doesn't matter as the meeting on it was held 12 days ago, but it would be nice to know what category they intended to put them under.

I'm sure they aren't doing it just to annoy hobbyists, but it just seems quite odd that those plants would be the ones chosen. I've never seen any of them becoming a pest at all, which makes the whole thing rather confusing.

Nothing wrong with getting a bit more information :P

I know that they are popular plants, but even if they did get banned, there is always a worthy native aquaitc plant to tak its place, as Daniel said. I never realised just how good the native aquatic plants actually are and how good they can look. I placed an order with Aquagreen last week to try out a few :P

ps: off to the lfs now to get some wisteria!

Archived