N. multifasciatus - Shellies

Callatya

OK, so here's the deal.

For the last 12 months or so I have had black algae and some pretty nasty disease in my FW tanks. It has managed to get through 3 of them without so much as trying. I was getting so completely disheartened with the carcasses and wasting away that I just gave the fish to a friend (who insisted on trying to fix them) and have decided to bleach and start again with all new stock. There is a bit of a plan to diversify between tanks, not just bettas in all of them :yes: Hopefully having an established community or two will help with being able to keep quarantine protocols in place (no switching fish between tanks)

Anyway, I have an AR380 tank that I'd like to pop some shellies in. From what I've read, it should be fine for a small number of multies or brevis, and out of the two, the multies seem most colourful. As luck would have it, a guy is selling some locally at $6 each. I have no idea if this is a good price, or if I should take 2 or 3 or what. A few places suggested 2 males and a female, but that sounds so wrong to me after coming from standard trops, so I really need a bit of confirmation on that.

Also, are they strong swimmers?

I do have larger tanks should they be needed later down the line if the population explodes.

Well, executive decision!

YES! I'm going to do it! And log it so people can yell at me if I get it wrong. :)

I'm cleaning the tank out today, and picking up the fish next week (yay for bacterial starters!) because I've found some locally at a very good price. I'm still not sure on which way the trio should go, but I guess I'll just wing it with a bit more googling.

Piccies soon :)

Washing shellgrit sucks.

I'm picking the fishlets up this arvo from some lovely fellow called John. I'm going to do my best impression of a helpless female and hope that he'll walk me through the whole thing :)

So excited! my first real cichlids!

BIG LEARNING CURVE!

Went out, got my grit, washed my grit, and put my grit in the tank.

Went to get fish, they were in close on neutral pH with sydney sand and in with a colony of er.. somethings that breed in pots.

Got back, and the tank stunk like wet chalk, so I had to strip it down again, and get sand from my SW tank, and redo the lot.

3 hours later, and three little multies are hiding in their shells :P

Pictures tomorrow, I think they've had a big enough day today (plus I have no background yet, it looks lousy!)

The onyx sand on special in Penrith is so fine its almost dust, i think that would be perfect and they wouldnt mind the slight raise in pH.

Another thing you have to consider is not allowing these ones to get sick cause it is hard to treat tanlanikans, they are very sensitive to medicines and can just die.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely no idea.

To me, I think it is two boys ad a juvie, but the bloke i got them from said it was a pair and a juvie, probably a male. I guess we'll know soon enough if they don't get a wriggle-on with the breeding!

• 1 month later...

Absolutely no idea.

To me, I think it is two boys ad a juvie, but the bloke i got them from said it was a pair and a juvie, probably a male. I guess we'll know soon enough if they don't get a wriggle-on with the breeding!

How big are the fish?

Generally, males grow to a max size of 1.5 - 2inches, where as the females are around the .75 - 1inch mark.

Question, I noticed you're from Sydney aswell.. do you mind if I ask where you purchased the multies from? And do you know if the guy had many other shell dwellers there? I tried to PM you and ask but it didn't let me :(.. maybe cos im new here.

Thanks.

The two larger ones are about 1.5" and the smaller one is pushing 1". They all flare and posture and carry on, but there hasn't been any actual scrapping for a while. Is there a behaviour difference?

I got these from a guy in Blacktown called John that I found on ACE (the old SCP forum) which is crawling with cichlid breeders from around Sydney. He only had these and some other mid-sized cichlid colony. Pet shop wise, I think Lams and Parramatta have the multies, and I think St George probably has ocellatus, but otherwise I'm not sure. There is a breeder out at St Marys that has meleagris and black ocellatus that would be worth tracking down, he's on ACE too :(

I told you about 8 months back when I found him, because I was looking for those for you and not me :( Gawd, please don't say that I did that and didn't mention, that'd be so bad :( Apparently he still does them, the John guy knew of him. Can't for the life of me remember his name, but I'll have a PM sitting there somewhere.

*shuffles off*

The two larger ones are about 1.5" and the smaller one is pushing 1". They all flare and posture and carry on, but there hasn't been any actual scrapping for a while. Is there a behaviour difference?

I got these from a guy in Blacktown called John that I found on ACE (the old SCP forum) which is crawling with cichlid breeders from around Sydney. He only had these and some other mid-sized cichlid colony. Pet shop wise, I think Lams and Parramatta have the multies, and I think St George probably has ocellatus, but otherwise I'm not sure. There is a breeder out at St Marys that has meleagris and black ocellatus that would be worth tracking down, he's on ACE too :thumbs:

I'd say it is unlikely the 2 larger ones are a pair.....pairs normally share a shell/shells...or if you give them lots of shells they will build a nest of several shells. Best give them lots of shells to play with....old mystery snail shells are best because they are relatively light and they can move them around....my lfs give me the old ones as they usually just throw them out.

You don't need a lot of substrate with multies....they will just move it out of the way.

Fine crushed coral/shell grit is best because it also buffers the water.

I would say 6 is a good number to start with

They quickly build a colony with several generations of fish so picking big ones and small ones isn't reliable way to sex juvies....but all you need is one pair to start the ball rolling!

Occies are great little fish but much more aggressive than multies.....different personality and habits.

www.shelldwellers.com is a great site for detailed info on shellies.

Ta Rod :thumbs: I tend to agree, they all have very defined territories and with the toothmarks that were on #2, I'd bet they are both boys.

I don't think I can fit 6. I'd like to, but floorspace doesn't really permit it. I know I should have gone with brevis, but I couldn't find any and I checked and double checked that these guys would do OK.

Am already over on Mouseling's site, but haven't posted for a veeeery long time :lol: She's done a great job of it :)

• 1 month later...

>.<

Since this thead I bought 3 more shellies (1m/2f) so I have 5 in my tanks atm (2m/3f) and they are all going pretty good.

It is so frustrating though not being able to find anywhere that sells a decent range of tangs, and when you call an aquarium and they have occellatus for 50$ each, man what do they think I am seriously?

Archived