Need some help

Well as you know I'm starting back up after 2 or so years away. So if possible could I get some help getting things set up again?

I have what is effectively a 4ft tank - is that too deep for Females? - it has gravel and plants and is heated

Plants for spawning tanks? What are people using now and is it available in Adelaide?

I used to keep my males in 2 litre tall preserving jars that sat in heated water in a 3ft and 4ft lidded tanks - what size do HM need?

More questions coming but that's it for now lol

Most people use a variety of plants, Java moss or ferm is a favourite. I've only ever seen it at Seaview Aquariums on Anzac highway. I used a variety of plants mostly just look for ones with lots of leave that will provide good hiding and resting spots for both mother and fry.

As for what people are keeping them in have a search for set ups there are lots of different versions, I use 2L jars I bought from Plasdene which works well but does require a fair amount of maintence. Eventually I'll get a barracks build but there are many more things on my to do list at home before I get to that!

Cheers, Heidi

I keep females in a planted 4' tank with no problem.

I use hornwart and (nasty messy but functional) duckweed in my spawning tanks. You can also use java moss.

I jar HM males in 1L milk bottles (until sold, hopefully into more spacious housing). That has been enough space for them to develop 180* spread. Water changes or water flow are obviously essential! I keep all breeder males in the spawn tanks with their fry, so they get plenty of swimming space.

I used to have Java Moss (a lot of it) that I had ordered in for me by Adelaide Aquariums (Gawler Place between Grenfell and Pirie streets I think) because I used to go there A LOT. They closed down and were going to relocate but don't know if they did. I've only seen java moss attached to driftwood/rocks and extremely pricy at Seaview.

We still have the option for the barracks but not for a while yet. That would have used the 2lt jupiter jars we got from Silverlock packaging (food grade plastic). The Plakats, females and some others would have had 4lt per hour flow and the HM and other delicates would have had half that and the water was to be heated by a couple of inline heaters. Anyway that's long term stuff lol

Should I get males or females first?

I also use hornwart, java moss and at the moment i've got soe elodia in my spawn tanks, great places to hide!

I don't know whether you should get males or females first, I generally tend to pick males that I like then try to find a girl to match them.

I don't think it really matters, just depends on your setup, if you've got a setup all ready to go for the girls then by all means go get some and vice versa.

If you can't actually see the plants at your store you could ask them to order it in for you. I do that up here all the time :rant:

I haven't got a lot of Java Moss at the moment since I've just come back to the hobby myself. The first tank that I resurrected had been sitting untended for at least 5 years if not more and java moss was the only thing still growing in it. Unfortunately I was only intending to set up that one tank at that time and threw out (horror) most of the java moss.

It seems wrong to have to pay for java moss, so I'd be happy to send you a handful for free to get you started. Private message me your address and I'll stick it in the post. In my tanks it's pretty slow growing though, so if you need more than that I suggest trying http://www.aquaticdreams.com.au/home.asp. I ordered about $100 worth of plants from them recently and was pretty happy with the experience.

Cheers,

Michael

A1 tropicals on Nth East Rd (Near Holden Hill Police Station) have some good priced ferns on driftwood.

There is a place near Reynella that has HEAPS of plants, really good prices too.

I recommend you check out Michaels link. I am going shopping there!

Archived