Plastic storage boxes

Beano

I am going shopping soon and I was wondering about those plastic storage containers people use for sumps and betta warming devices (hehe). Do you guys just buy cheap ones? Because I know crazy clarks have cheap ones but I worry that their plastic is flimsy and I'll arrive home one day to wet carpet and a plastic tub that has a huge crack in it. This would not be good for me as I rent and have an anal landperson who already doesn't like that i have a 4 foot tank on the carpet...

Has anyone had trouble, or can anyone recommend a place I should get them from?

I usually get mine from bunnings. The one i got recently is a 100L and cost about $28 i think. I think its best to take any wheels off or make sure that the bottom is flat so that there isnt pressure put on any part of the plastic that might cause it to crack. Thats a heavy ammout of water :P

I just bought a couple of 71 ltr storage boxes from Kmart for $11.19 (20% off from $13.99). I was going to use them to try and grow brine shrimp to adult size. I also thought they might be good as betta growout tanks. Didn't occur to me that they might leak or crack.

Tell your landlord to pull his head in. That's what the bond is for. And if the bond doesn't cover it, that's what landlords insurance is for. Failing that, give him a betta and see if you can get him hooked.

I think its best to take any wheels off or make sure that the bottom is flat so that there isnt pressure put on any part of the plastic that might cause it to crack. Thats a heavy ammout of water :P

The wheels are easy enough to pull off but what about the thing that the wheels mount on to? Any advice on how to cut them off. They look pretty tough. Should I worry about this? Do you know for sure that they will crack? I don't have a landlord. Maybe I can leave the boxes as is and trial it for the forum. I'll tell my partner that I'm sacrificing the carpet as a community service. :P

off to bunnings! Perhaps I will get ambitious and start buying "barracks" parts... although every set of DIY plans I've read I have no idea what's going on... I need someone to build one for me.

I got some 48L boxes - 2 of them. Not quite large, but I grew chicken to get a 100L one in case it split. This will do to put my 1st spawn in.

Also got a heater, and bought another one of those 4 bay tanks - I've got 3 now, so I have room for 12 betta. Since I don't have 12 males, I thought I'd also take a trip to stafford aquarama and buy a boy but they're pretty well the same stock as last time I went a fortnight ago. Those other opaque CT males are still there, but I maintain that I picked the best one of them last time. That nice $60 "anzac" double tail with the awesome dorsal fin isn't there anymore. I had decided if it was there I was buying it, so luckily someone else beat me to it.

What do you mean by 4 bay tanks? You don't mean those little betta separators which you stick to the side of a larger tank do you? Have you got a pic of it somewhere? I'm trying to solve the betta barracks problem. Leaning towards something custom built by St Kilda Aquarium. But I reckon I'll be paying heaps for it.

i have these "dividers" that clip together in different shapes :) i fix them up and slip them into the tub, and use breeding nets for the extra space :)

i haven't finished this lot, i need to buy another pack of dividers to add a back wall on the cubes, i didn't realise the suction cups would leave enough room for the males to slip inbetween bays - my males that are loose in there (only 3) actually get along pretty well, so it's not unusual to see them sitting next to each other on the elodea :);; they were all raised together so i guess that may be why.

100_5955.jpg

No, by 4 bay I mean a nice little glass aquarium that has slots for glass dividers in it. It's about 40cm x 20cm high, and 15cm deep. The dividers make each compartment 10x20x15. Plus you can pull the dividers out if you want to tailor to your amount of fish.

Very interesting. I did see some similar dividers at St Kilda Aquarium yesterday but they were $18.95 for each divider which was a bit out of my price range. I might look online and see if I can find anything cheaper. Celeste84, do you not mind that you can only see your fish from above?

I set up one of my storage boxes as a brine shrimp growout tank on Sunday. This morning the discussion we had about cracking, supporting with books etc finally percolated to the front of my consciousness and woke me up with a start at 6am this morning. Picture of 60 liters of salt water leaking all over the carpet flashing in my brain. I had a look at the box and yes, the bottom has bowed rather alarmingly. I've supported the middle with some offcuts of wood I had lying around. There don't seem to be any leaks. I'll keep an eye on it. The BBS have grown a bit and they look kinda cute.

Archived