Heater

duke

I have a small tank. It holds about 10ltrs. I bought a small 25w heater. I can get it up to the water line on the heater if I put it on an angle but im a bit worried about if this is safe. I have seen a few pics and places where people have got them mounted on an angle though. The box has diagrams showing the correct way to mount it. There is only one that is on an angle. It says its wrong but its also touching the gravel in the picture so im not sure if its saying the angle is wrong or the fact its touching the gravel or both! Its a AquaOne heater.

touch gravel is not a good thing i think. depending ont he heater, the biggest reason why they say not to mount it in an angle is because the element or whatever surrounds the elements (sometimes ceramic heaters), touch the protective glass and due to the big temperature difference (element VS water) the glass cracks. try unplugging the heater, let it cool down inside the water, remove it and moveit vertically and then in an nagle if the element + whatever holds it dont move at all, then i would assume (users own discretion pls) it is ok. i have a few heaters that are mounted in an angle and i have never had a problem with those. only those that get exposed when doing WC .... big no no...

I only have 1 heater in any of my tanks at present, and it's at an angle. as far as I can recall, I've always tended towards horizontal or at least an angle rather than straight up, as I am a shocker (no pun intended) for forgetting to unplug them during water changes and the odds of the glass cracking are less if the glass remains submerged!

i got 240V from a broken heater once when I was 6 months pregnant. scary! but I have had heaters "leak" and it just makes the water tingle when you put your hand in. It seems not to harm the fish - maybe because they are not grounded??? Like I know anything about electricity ... except that the substation next door to my horses seems to give them all a curly mane. Anyway!

OMG you mean the noisy bubble-making thing with the diaphragm and the electrical cord? (sorry, had a mental blank). Reflexes and water are a bad combination. Fortunately my gross motor skills are significantly blunted, so I may live to get zapped another day.

In an aquarium I worked in years ago I was WC the top tanks in a 3level display, standing on steel ladder & the heater was fine but with 1 arm in the tank & the other following the heater cord to the powerboard to swtich off the right cord I unfortnuately discovered a mouse & it's companions had a little chew on the cord.....it didn't end well :( I came to on the floor amongst the aquarium products shelving I took out in my lauch from the ladder a little :blink::blink::huh::blink::blink::(( Never been hit from a busted heater in a tank but now always tag my cords at the board & switch it ALL off before touching & now have a serious phobia of anything zappy zappy :lol:

I keep my heaters horizontal, close to the bottom of the tanks. Just a few days ago I was pulling out my air pump to take it upstairs, and it was tangled up in another cord. I wasn't sure which cord it was but I assumed it was one of the heaters that I had lying about back there not being used, and unplugged. So I made a wrong move while untangling the air pump's cord, and then I hear a big SMASH. The cord the pump was tangled with was the heater that was being used in the tub that I have my extreme rosetail 'culls' living in, and I had ripped out the heater and it dropped on the floor and broke. But that didn't register yet. I still thought it was the unused heater :blink: I stood back, shocked, and tried to regather my thoughts... and then I went and touched the heating element. HOT! And that is when I realised which heater it was, and it was STILL PLUGGED IN...and broken for 5 mins already. That could have ended in disaster. Me and heaters don't match.

Archived