Apple Snails

Celeste84

i just thought i'd show people what apple snails really are ^_^ i get people asking me "do they REALLY get that big??" all the time. and my answer is yes, yes they do. apples snails live for 2-4 years - shorter in warmer tanks (around 28c) and longer in cooler tanks (around 20c) but are still tropical snails, and DO need a heated tank. i think the shorter lifespan in warmer tanks is due to breeding more often.

i've been told they're hard to breed, but i've found that given the right environment they breed like rabbits :D they're tiny when hatched and take about 18 months to reach adult size. they also eat any soft plants; although with one or two snails it's no big problem as they will eat the fish poop and dead plant matter first, and your live plants last. they make great pets but you DO need a lid on the tank as they go WALKIES. i lost one big boy for almost a week, turns out he made it all the way across the other side of the room and up into the birdcage before sealing himself off to store what water he had left in his shell. popped him back in the tank and all was well again, never left the lid off again.

these snails grow to the size of a tennisball when fully grown. don't believe me?? here we go:

mum and baby

Posted Image

size comparison - all fish/snails were pretty much in line with each other, so there's no distance affecting their sizes. the fish on the snail is one of my smaller loaches.

Posted Image

must admit i love the apple snails, they're as interesting pets as the bettas :lol: i've actually heard of people training them to climb on their hands and such, but, i think the acid in our skins would be painful to them - just like with amphibians, so i just watch them (and shout at them to stop breeding when i catch them in the "act") :D

Got to admit, for some strange, reasons, I'm really really afraid of snails, to a degree where it can be matched by spiders, snakes and all other creatures such as cockroaches, frogs, worms, lizards...etc. I like them in photos *thank you celeste for sharing*, I wonder why they're call apple smails?? Do they eat apples or like to hang around apple trees??

Darn these escape artists! Mildred, one of my new snails that I acquired on the last fish raiding trip around town, went missing for about 12 hours. Found her under the footstool under my bed... covered in cob webs and dust and other miscellanous particles. I thought it was cactus for sure given it wasn't closed up, but I sniffed it didn't stink so I chucked it back in the tank. Now she knows that there is no wetter water on the other side. It was funny the first time she escaped and my sister saw her. You could almost hear the 'Freedom!!!' scream and charging calvary...

Archived