Bomb Proof Fish?

Em

Oh dear, poor Em, I know how you feel!! It happened (still happening) to me too!! I tried taking care of guppies, they killed each other. And then I have a fish disappeared on me, well, I thought it just disappeared until my bf did a 15 sec search for it - it was 'flattened' by the filter!!! I think as I was repositioning my filter - he swim behind the filter and I ended having it squashed between the filter and the tank wall......... :lol: Not to count the number of bettas that died on me as well. I wish things will look up for you Em, so far the only type of fish that survived on me from day one are silver sharks, want to give them a try?

Loaches are hardy little souls, and the golden ones are just beautiful (aka chinese algea eaters) :rant: they grow a bit big, but you can always sell and rebuy once they hit that stage :lol: head and tail lights are another good one, and black tetras :D they're both beautiful in groups :blink:

All fish are pretty well hardy these days as long as they are kept well and aren't sick when bought.

For instance I bought a young pair of Dicrossus filamentosa which are supposed to be in very soft water and a pH or 5.0-6.0 and they were in 7.0 at the shops. They are thriving in 6.6-6.8. They are known to be very picky. Because the aquarium industry pumps out so much fish you will find most fish these days tolerate a broad range of conditions.

Same as Blue Rams, they no longer cark it after a water change more then 20%.

Just thought I'd share this with you all. Today as I had an hour or so to spare I went into the fish shop that the first two lot of fish had come from. The guy said to bring in a water sample and then proceeded to say that all of my current fish (yabbies, eel and oscar) are hardy and that get this bettas, including the fancy ones, are hardier than say the platy and that they (can) live in a really muddy water with infrequent water changes... I almost snorted when he said that. I'm going to take a water sample back JUST to see what is said about my water... and if it's all okay THEN I'm going to say "You guys must just sell duds" (well it's that or they put something in the transport bags) I really dislike it when so called 'professionals' try to tell me lies about fish, then again I always have you guys to fall back on and ask for REAL information :lol:

How about kissing gourami? Nam's one has gone for weeks without a water change and is now as big as football... Hey em, I saw the crowning glory of misinformation ever yesterday on our fish trawling around town.... did you know there are now cold water gourami's? Lives peacefully with goldfishes etc etc.... only problem was, the poor dears were lying on the bottom frozen... I shouldn't be so surprised though.. this is the same group of people who sell 'cold water fighters' and 'beautiful coloured neon window tetras'. :lol:

*facepalm* Gawd Mishy, that's stupid! This guy was trying to tell me I was doing water changes too often and pretty much that my bettas were getting too many. I saw some kissing gouramis... although I don't know if $10 is the usual price for them, they were also flogging male guppies off for almost $5 (I've found them as low as $2.50) What are mollies like to keep??

Archived