Betta Channoides Warning!

KillieOrCory

:no: :((:(( I got 8 pretty peppermint bristlenoses from Erren recently. In my infinite wisdom I put them in with a pair of B.channoides (I actually have channoides pairs and trios in over a dozen tanks!). Before I realized what was happening my male channoides bashed the peppermints really badly :(( I lost three of the beautiful things. The funny thing is that I have not seen channoides attack any other fish before; from small fry (of many different species) to guppies, bristlenoses, all sorts of killies with flowing fins etc. I have not had a single incident of them even displaying to anything other than other channoides. Just shows you how important the white outer margin of the tail is in display and territory marking in Betta channoides.

:)  :)  :lol:

I got 8 pretty peppermint bristlenoses from Erren recently. In my infinite wisdom I put them in with a pair of B.channoides (I actually have channoides pairs and trios in over a dozen tanks!).

Before I realized what was happening my male channoides bashed the peppermints really badly  :D  I lost three of the beautiful things.

The funny thing is that I have not seen channoides attack any other fish before; from small fry (of many different species) to guppies, bristlenoses, all sorts of killies with flowing fins etc. I have not had a single incident of them even displaying to anything other than other channoides.

Just shows you how important the white outer margin of the tail is in display and territory marking in Betta channoides.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG, really sorry hear that. Have you move the other 5 out of the tank?. Hope nothing bad happen to the marbles b/n in the next few days.

Thanks guys :)

As soon as I noticed what has happened I fished the pair of channoides out and they are now in a community tank with another 20 channoides some Fp.nigerianus Jos Plateau and Chromaphyosemion splendopleure and normal bristlenoses.

The marble bristlenoses were in the same tank as the peppermints and they are all doing fine, not a mark on them!!! I think it is the white tail margin that did it :D They are so peacefull against any other fish that I did not think of the possibility of the channoides male getting macho on me :lol:

I just counted 5 peppermints and they all look fine :D

On more positive note both the remaining peppermints and marbles are eating well. They get Tim Addis's red crumbs and the catfish formula, nutrafin tablets, algae wafers and zucchini. They eat better than me :)

Archived