Help Identifing this CW fish

Jess

It could be a River Blackfish (Gadopsis marmoratus).  More information here

Vicki, I think you have hit the nail on the head :D I cannot remember too much about the anatomoy of the fish, but its so close. The distribution is also a major hint it is the fish. You are a doll :D

Thankyou :thumbs:

• 5 months later...

Bump! I see that Dave is keeping these fish. My father has a 4ft tank with a few of these fish, since moving back to Alexandra in Victoria last year. He has offered to bring me over a trio of them when he visits next. I am interested in how you keep them, feeding, etc. Jess

They can grow to about 2ft, so you'll need a large tank eventually.. They're predatory and will readily take earth worms, yabbies, shrimp, small fish etc.. They produce a fair bit of waste IMO, so frequent water changes are fairly important. Reasonably placid fish, can live with other fish that they can't swallow. Give them a lot of hiding places to choose from. They'll be fine in pretty much any water parameter..just take your time aclimatising.

I heard about them producing alot of waste, my father had to get ammonia pads for his cannister to help in between WC's. My father says these are smaller compared to ones found elsewhere. Is this correct? I don't think I want to keep them at all, if they will reach 2ft!

Archived