Clearance On Tiered Tanks

Leema

Well, I'm setting up my first tier tanks and I'm going to get the tanks specially made to fix the stand I have already purchased. How much of a space would you recommend between the top of the tank and the shelf above it?

In my case, the shelf above will have a cavity... there is a lip on the shelf above. So the gap between the edge of the tank and the shelf above will be smaller than the top of the tank and the shelf above... If that makes sense. :scared: Here's a diagram...

Posted Image

So, with this information, I'll ask my question again. :rant: What is the space you'd recommend between the tank top and the shelf above?

I have found that you need a minimum of 20cm to the capping edge and more is good. You want it big enough so you can get your net in there, containers for introducing fish etc and siphon tube. I have a couple shorter than this and they are an absolute pain to do anything in, will you be putting recessed lighting in the cavity? Then you need even more room. Hope they turn out great for you Cheers Deb

I haven't decided what I am going to do for lighting yet, but it is something to think about, so thanks. :rant: The pump I use for waterchanges is 14cm, so I'm going to need at least 15cm there. ;) And even that makes the tanks the shortest tanks I've ever owned, but makes the tanks 51 litres... So that's okay. :lol: And the jug (in case of pump breakdown) will fit in that gap, too. Thanks for your ideas for consideration. :scared: Anymore would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Archived