Brown-backed Crabs

Callatya

Sooo, I have a free tank. I have no crustaceans. I have always wanted to try crabs. I tried a cherry claw a few years back but it up and died fairly quickly. I am thinking brown backs might be a good option as they seem to survive in lousy conditions (not that mine are, just that they seem less killable) I am thinking i'll go ahead with my glassware tank redesign and have sand and bottles and various bits of coloured glass etc for playing with, but what about live plants? do they eat them/kill them? I am babysitting one for Lurker/Sin at the moment called Moxie who is incredibly cute, but very inactive. Are they supposed to be tropical or temperate? I think little Moxie is chilly and trying to conserve heat.

Not sure Ab's if they are tropical or not! I want crabs, but I really really really really want a mudskipper!! I think you can do crabs easily enough. Plants, hmm they are ominvores so I guess plants are included :cheer:

:D I don't want to experiment with someone else's pet :D "er, he kinda looked cold so I er, warmed him up a bit for you...?" I'm pretty sure I could muddle through with it, I mean they can't be too different to yabbies right? small, claws, moults on occasion, all that jazz. I imagine anatomically they are similar. Sin said they need access to O2, but I don't recall this being the case. Do they need a lot of access or do you think a something or other poking out of the water is sufficient?

Jack the temp up to 26'c. They will eat live plants. They need to be able to get themselves out of the water completely. Just pack the tank full of drift wood. They also need regular water changes..and that's about it. They're pretty easy to keep.

Archived