Chopped Off Fins

d_golem

Yeah, I wouldn't buy Bettafix. I have never used it. My completely biased opinion prefers Melafix & Pimafix because you can dose larger amounts of water and other fish species at the same time. Bettafix is specifically marketed for Bettas and I don't like that, because it seems a bit dodgy to me.

From the inside cover of the Pimafex label: "Pimafex has been specially formulated to work in combinations with Melafix for a more effective treatment against stubborn diseases and to promote rapid healing" So I'd say yes, you can use them together but perhaps you don't need both. You said your CT has tattered fins, those will heal on their own - maybe add some Melafix (as far as I can tell it's tea tree oil - which has natural antibacterial properties) as a preventative for a few days until you can see regrowth on the fins but I wouldn't use both unless he actually had an infection. I've had great success just using Pimafex too with infections.

bettafix is about 1/10th the strength. there was some problem with people being unable to dose smal tanks with melafix so bettafix does away with that problem. It *may* be a slightly different species as last time I clecked Bettafix didn't have a scientific name on it, only the genus. Melafix and Pimafix are great together. I tend to use Pimafix over Melafix these days as it seems to work a bit quicker. I believe t has mild antibacterial as well as antifungal as I don't think I've had true fungus yet. they work wonderfully togeter, just dose both at full strength UNLESS the fish is havng respiratory issues, as if there is raw skin, it could burn the open area and make it worse. If he fish starts gasping, change half the water and adjust your dose for next time. For dosing, melafix and pimafix are about 2 drops/L (working from a 20 drop/mL dropper) but up to 5 drops can be used if it really is needed, like if you are treating infection rather than trying to ward one off.

Archived