Heater For A 3 Litre Jar

d_golem

OR, get a larger but shallow tub (enough to fit the bottles), add all your jars/bottles of bettas/betta juvies, add a heater big enough to heat the whole thing, plus an airline to keep water circulating, fill it up with water. This way you can heat lots of bottles very easily :D

All of the above will work very well. If they are female obviously a heated commmunity tank saves on jars. If it is a special female you don't want damaged or a male then you can make your own floating container to put in the community tank. Also their are some betta barracks about that you can stick inside community tanks but for my mind most of them are too small. But there are some that are large enough if you can find them. I think it's cheaper to make your own though and they will be bigger by a long shot. If you do keep males in community tanks this way carding is difficult and a cover is essential to stop then jumping into the community for a bit of a play. There are also heated divided tanks which can be purchased. Or you can make one / have one made. Sometimes buying them is cheaper though. Good thing about making them yourself is you give the fish the space you want to have. I made some 3ft divided tanks which are heated and filtered and each fish gets about 8L each. Pat

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be OK. I think it was Todd (Bettamuse) who came up with a great way to heat lots of jars with heater coils / cables. He cut grooves into the wood base, ran the cord inside the groove and sits the jars / tanks on top. Pat.

How much you are willing to spend? The 7.5W heater is about $25. All for one fish. You could buy a small tank (even second hand one) throw in a cheap $10 heater and have 2 to 3 jars in that tank or even convert that tank into a divided tank. Pat.

Those Hydor mini heaters are recommended for at least 8L tanks. I have one here, and it says on the packet you can only use it when the water is below 24 degrees. The temperature increase in an 8L tank below 24 degrees would be 2.5 deg C, in a 20L tank the increase would be 2 deg C. I think a 3L tank would make the heat too variable, you'd have to monitor it all day and possibly end up turning it on/off as well. Far too unreliable and hard to keep track of in my opinion. Your housemate would be much better off just getting a bigger tank and buying a 25W heater that you can set the temperature on. That's just my opinion. Cheers :D

Hmmm the problem is we haven't got any more space for a tank bigger than the 3 litre one. The temperature is going to be pretty low here (below 20) in the coming few months so the mini heater will raise the temperature about 4-5C maybe in the 3 litre-jar, which makes 24-25C which is perfect for betta. For the 50W heater, $10 plus freight adds up to $17.50 :D hmmm

Hmmm the problem is we haven't got any more space for a tank bigger than the 3 litre one. The temperature is going to be pretty low here (below 20) in the coming few months so the mini heater will raise the temperature about 4-5C maybe in the 3 litre-jar, which makes 24-25C which is perfect for betta.

For the 50W heater, $10 plus freight adds up to $17.50 :D hmmm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats cheaper then most stores all up!

Maybe you need other things while your at it :D

Hmmm the problem is we haven't got any more space for a tank bigger than the 3 litre one. The temperature is going to be pretty low here (below 20) in the coming few months so the mini heater will raise the temperature about 4-5C maybe in the 3 litre-jar, which makes 24-25C which is perfect for betta.

For the 50W heater, $10 plus freight adds up to $17.50 :D hmmm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm looking to buy a couple more of those $10 heaters. We could share the postage if you like.

BTW, those mini heaters are about $35-45. They are not a cheap alternative.

For that small of an amount of water, make a tea-cozy for it to help inslate it a litle, and pop it on te fridge. The top of the fridge is usually pleasantly warm and it probably won't mae the temperature tropical, but for an interim measure, orjust to take the chill off, it works wondes :) here wouldn'be much difference wit 20 or 50. In 3L water, if it gets stuck in the on position you'll have fish soupeither way. Go wit what is cheapest, and invest in a thermometer for the outside of the jar/vase.

Not to burst a bubble, but a desk lamp will heat the tank during the day, but at night in Perth the temperatures get pretty cold. I have the same problem, no way to heat separate jars except to stand them in a bigger tank with heated water. I've been looking to buy some substrate heating cable. Pet Magic in Canning Vale uses them to warm up their individual betta tanks by coiling some cable underneath each tank.

Archived