Best Betta Shop In Melbourne

Erren

I could not think of any in Melbourne. There are heaps of aquarium store in Melbourne that sell betta but if i need to find 1 betta that is at the standard on this forum then i'm afraid i find none!. Upmarket, subscape,st.kilda, oakleigh and many other Pet shop store (mainly in shopping centre) mostly sold cheap veil tail and some sad looking, inactive and almost die betta. If you lucky you could find ugly crown tail and plakat as well. But you can find veil tail definitely everywhere. The only shop i knew selling some imported bettas is only Jade in box hill. Most betta was imported from overseas according to the guy there but i'm 100% sure that its all came from Queensland!. Yeah, sadly we victorian received the 2nd class and unwanted betta :drool: . St.Kilda aquarium do sell some imported one and costing about $60 each where you can find same one in Jade for only $12 and minimum of $8 each. Jade in box hill is the only my recommendation although the condition of the fish and water is still "???". Last week i saw 2 male betta die and rotten on the jar. I don't know how long the poor guy has been there and whether the guy there notice. But anyway, this is the only store that i could possibly recommend if you want to find some imported betta without spending to much money on Aquabid. Anyone want to share their experience or recommendation with the LFS in Melbourne.

Hi Erren, I don't think think there is a standard on this forum personally. I think if you find a nice male and female you should breed them :) Sometimes some bettas have great form which are sold in the LFS, but there fins may be a bit tattered from travel or housing. Its ok to breed from these. I bet most members here have trouble keeping bettas in top form for a long period of time. This can be for many reason like strength of the fish, line of breed and the health of the fish, excerise, maintanence etc etc.. If you are wanting show quality bettas to breed, you really should contact Lilli, someone or Narjick as they have great locally bred bettas at great prices. If you jsut want to breed Betta splendens, call your fish store and ask what days and times they get there bettas in, so you can be the first to see what they have in, it will pay off. I have seen amazing bettas lately in Adelaide and we are not of the same advantage as Sydney and Melbourne people, as the LFS have the chance to go to the wholesalers themselves and choose fish for there stock personally. We get whatever is sent by the wholesalers, which is the crappy left overs. Jess

Boronia sometimes get in batches of good looking fish from local breeders... I've seen fantastic spade tails and halfmoons there at times. Otherwise they have the same old VT and pretty ordinary CT and a pile of plakat girls. What is it with the plakat girls? How come shops that only sell VTs and CTs sell plakat girls as well? They don't sell plakat boys. What are the commercial breeders doing with their girls and why is it, whenever a pet shop asks for girls they get plakats? Hi Fin say they they've been trying to get CT girls for ages. It's some scheme to stop home hobbiests, I think... well that's my conspiracy theory.

If you want plakat girls, it cost $6.95 each in Upmarket and its only few about 4-5. Subscape in richmond has about 10 or so, same price. Jade in box hill have 20 or so for $5. Boronia has 10 or so but don't know how much. I don't see any HM or any type of female before in Melbourne. But Jade sell 2 crown tail female for $8.95. I remember there is about 10 before but only 2 left as of last week.

what you also have to remember with prices is that it may seem like they're expensive in Pet Stores, but when you look at how much it costs to import fish from overseas, it's much cheaper. And like Jess said, just search around until you find the betta that you like. several ppl on this forum have asked the LFS's when they get their shipment of bettas in and then go on that day and have come home with some very nice ones. You could also ask them if they will bring in any HM's for you :)

a lot of lfs are more than happy to order in a particular colour/tail type if you request it of them. Sometimes it helps to be able to supply them a picture of what your after though as a lot of the time the betta jargon is lost on them.

i just ordered 2 pairs of giant from someone. Can't wait to see them on Thursday :) . Hopefully these guys can give me more offspring. Sick and tired searching for giants in Melbourne :( . Yeah, i might want to ask LFS when exactly each week their order coming in. Good idea. Never think about that before

Definitely looking at Halfmoon, Super Delta, Double Tails and anything other than veil tail, plakat, halfmoon plakat and crown tails. I think i never seen those anywhere except from my computer screen :)

Most betta was imported from overseas according to the guy there but i'm 100% sure that its all came from Queensland!. Yeah, sadly we victorian received the 2nd class and unwanted betta

Not sure why you consider bettas from Queensland to be 2nd class and unwanted bettas! Or why you assume the ones at your LFS are not imported.

Glad you are getting some nice bettas from Jodi-Lea.

you misinterpreted my words. I mean fish from queensland is obviously 1st class, we victorian only see 2nd class fish in LFS. Every LFS here said that their fish is imported but the truth is, they are buying from individual like me at $1 or $0.5 each. They have the upperhand as we don't have space to keep hundreds of fry and have to sell the ugly one asap. Fish from queensland obviously bloody fantastic!. I can't see what the difference between overseas and queensland anymore with someone there. I personally bought all bettas from queensland and none of my bettas are bought here in Melbourne. Same goes to few of my friend. I'm just trying to say that LFS prefer to market their fishes as fishes from overseas instead from wholesale in queensland or private individual here in victoria.

most LFS's sell imported VTs. It is cheaper for them to import VTs than to buy them from local breeders. I think I heard that they import VTs for something like 20c a fish. Same with CTs and HMs (although the purchase price to import is higher). most of the buying public just want a pretty $7 thing to keep in a cup until it dies and they can replace it with a better one, and the LFS's cater to that market by importing for bugger-all and whacking a big profit margin on the fish. There are many Australian breeders who ship just about anywhere in Australia who have fantastic HM and CT lines originating from imported stock. Have you had a look in the Breeder Profiles section of the forum? There are breeders in Melbourne. Splendidbetta, for instance, is in Reservoir and should soon have some excellent metallic HMs for sale (once they are spawned and raised). So there are a few options.

true2. yeah, i've sort out look at the breeding profiles and previous sale by some of members in this forum and i can tell you that i really regret joining this forum this late :lol: . Your red HM is :blink: . Some of najrick is also :D . Splendidbetta cooper Hm is <_< . pls let me know asap if you guys intend to spawn your bettas :D

Today i found a small aquarium store in China Town, Melbourne CBD. Store is damm small but they managed to keep almost 50 bettas. Big LFS normally only hold 20 bettas the most. You could find any colour you want in the store. I saw only plakat, veil tail, and crown tail only. Fish is still very young and small. Price is $8.50 each (male or females). Special sale as well: brand new 2 foot tank for $50, 40cm tank for $30, 30cm for $25 and 20cm for $15. Glass tank with lids by the way.

Archived