New Melano OHM

Phil

Hey people, here is some pics of the Melano i got yesterday, bad pics, good excuse to buy a new camera soon *lol*

Well lisa drooled so much she went through 3 beach towels, but all the fish were seriously great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah, i love the blacks and these guys surely get very dark :D One note though, Phil, if you're thinking of breeding him, you better get female that carries large form. I found that Chok's double blacks (where your or Coral's fish come from) are of tiny form, definitely need to be upsized :D

The dad was quite a little guy, if I remember him properly, but the mother was the hugest female betta I ever saw, huge fins too. I was surprised to hear they spawned, as I never though he'd be able to wrap successfully. So that was a step in the right direction. I love your philosophy on females edie. I'm sure that's where the important genes are. All you guys who have invested in good 8 - 16 ray females have the best HM ratios.

fins come f rom the female, that's for sure. Hence all the controversy a while back when Eugene started selling 8 ray breeder females on Aquabid.

All my breeding girls are 8 ray - except so far they are spending their days doing their nails and gossiping! No time to put pairs together.

there is red in the photos, but no hint of red on him in person.  

I feel vindicated now!

The "red" is known as rust - it's a fault in blacks if you can see it without a torch. The melano pictured has a lot of iridescence in the body. He would be best bred to a steel or green female with melano genes. Look for a robust line with beefy bodies.

If this male was to be entered into an IBC show his best chance would be in the bicolour class.

Coral has done well. It's good to see more local stock on the market these days.

Keep flaring him Phil - watch the water quality - the edges of the caudal are starting to round off.

Cheers, someone

Posted Image

Posted Image

these are the 2 females i have (also another HM male, but no pics at the moment)

This fish dosent seem to have any irr. in real life, mainly just with the flash, I really have to borrow dads camera and take some without flash, mine come out blurry without it.

edie, do you mean by small size the length of the fins? or the size of the body?

both. Chok's double blacks were not that great in fins nor in body length. My double blacks got only 2/3 the length of my other males when he was 'older'. I found some difficulty when I tried to breed him, all gorgeous females were bigger in body LOL

Melanos were one of those fish that I was never really into. That was until they turned up in a recant spawn. And let me tell you I now know what all the fuss is about. There is just something that draws your eye when there is a black fish in a room of colour. I think one of the reason that a pic cant tell its true beauty is that they are soooo hard to photograph. If you use a flash you get the blue metallic sheen that is not there to the naked eye. If you don't use a flash you get this little black shape with no features. So well done on the great photo Phil, and you truly have a beauty there. Najina

Archived