Goldfish Tank

VickiPS

The 2nd hand 2ft cube tank I bought a while ago is still sitting empty: meanwhile, my grandson's two goldfish have well and truly outgrown their standard 2-footer. The solution seems obvious :D I'm planning to leave the tank outdoors, on the patio, where it gets good indirect light most of the day. (My 3 ft growout is out there too). If setting up the cube tank, which holds around 200L, for goldies, what would I need in the way of: 1. Filtration? Would a power filter and spray bar be appropriate? 2. Heating? Summer is not a problem, but it can get quite cold overnight in winter. Would a heater be necessary? (My sister's pond goldies seem to manage through winter okay). 3. Substrate, plants, decor etc. I'd like to have a natural looking tank, and don't plan on using any lighting. Are there plants suitable for medium light conditions that will stay put with goldfish? And what kind of aquascaping, if any? I'd appreciate any and all suggestions :D

1. power filter with a spraybar would be OK, but if its a new purchase i'd probably go with something a bit heftier like a HOB or cannister. 2.In QLD, i think you'd be ok, but itd reduce feedings a bit over winter, and maybe put some insulation on the tank so it doesn't lose all its heat at night. 3.Easy to vac gravel (pea?), java fern and maybe anacharis? you could strap it to driftwood or rocks with strng or cable ties :D Goldie-proof :D though, they might eat the anacharis... outdoors, i'd suggest heavy lids too, in case of kookaburras looking for a challenge :D

Mine are in a washtub submerged in the back garden and filtered by a homemade plant pot filter. Don't worry about winter cold, just feed them less. I've had goldfish fry down to 11C who continued to grow and the adults spend most of their winter between 5-10C. Goldies can go down to 1C or even slightly less, if you keep knocking holes in the ice for them to breathe.

OMG a plant pot filter!!! sorry, had a flash-back. In the nothern hemisphere, goldfish do ok in ponds that freeze over with a crust (deep ponds mind you - eg 8' deep). I think they'll do fine in a QLD winter even in a 2' cube tank. Most of the heat from my tanks seems to be lost via surface area, so lids will help a lot. But they will be more active if you do take the chill off the water, of course.

OMG a plant pot filter!!!

sorry, had a flash-back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooo, you are wicked :lol: But does Bren get 1,000 fry at a time?

I gave the cube tank a good clean-out today and did a bit of patching up on it (put a patch over a hole cut near the top for a sump, cover strips on chipped corners, stuck in supports for lids etc). D*mn, that tank is HEAVY!

I've decided to go with 2 power filters -- mainly because of cost and convenience. One's the 800L/hr Sun Sun with spray bar that's been in the 4-footer as a backup, so it's already mature. Also, my LFS made me an offer I couldn't refuse on an Ocean Free 6000 (1500L/hr), because the owner wants me to try one out for him (it's a new product for the shop). I'll see how I go with them: I think I should be able to take the Sun Sun out once the bigger filter has matured.

When the weather starts to cool off, I'll see about putting a heater in.

I'll transfer all of the pea gravel from the old tank to add to the new, so hopefully that and the mature filter will give the tank a good start. I'll try a mix of fake plants and a few tough live plants to begin with and see how they go. I think I'll stick with plants I can either anchor to rocks or leave in pots, and put some biggish smooth river rocks around them to hopefully hold them in place.

I'll let you know how it works out :lol:

Archived