How Much Should I Feed My Fish?

Halszka

I have a community tank with the following:

3 discus - around 7cm tall

5 honey dwarf gouramis (2 pairs + 1 female)

5 bristlenoses

4 khuli loaches

4 julii(I think?) cories

2 baloon molies (pair)

8 emerald eye rasboras

1 cockatoo cichlid - apistogramma cacatouides (I have a female, I've been looking _everywhere_ for a male :D )

Right now, I'm feeding them 2 frozen cubes of either blood worms, mysis shrimp or some other frozen stuff (lol) in the morning, and a small bit of dry food/pellets/or another frozen cube at night. Is that too little? Or too much? They eat all the food in less that 5 minutes each time. Blood worms are massive favourites :D

All water parameters are fine and have been fine for months :(

Posted Image

Ahh bugger! I was at JB's in Cannington today, I knew I should have popped into Pet Magic. Maybe tomorrow :( I'd _love_ to have a pair of cockatoos. I have a spare 35L all in one Jebo tank, not sure if that's big enough to spawn a pair of cockatoos but I'd be giving it a red hot go! Thanks for the comments about my tank :D It's my first large tropical tank and I'm damn proud of it! There's never any food left after I feed them 2 cubes in the morning, and some more at night. The discus are constantly begging for more in the corner where the food drops in! :D The khuli loaches and cories mop everything up anyway. I figured it's better if some falls to the ground for them to forage for. I give them a few algea wafers or lettuce leaves every now and then as well. I just wouldn't want to feed them not enough, especially since the discus aren't fully grown yet. I love them to bits though :D The orange is a pigeon blood, the one in the center is a cobalt blue and the one on the righthand side is a red turquoise.

is that riccia growing on the stone in the right hand corner of the pic Halszka? I have been looking for something like that but haven't been able to find any.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's riccia. It's not growing on the stone though. I put the rock inside a black stocking and stuffed the riccia underneath, just a thin layer but enough to cover the whole top of the stone. It looked best about two weeks later when the riccia had grown through the holes. There's rips in the stocking and it isn't looking as lush as it used to. Maybe it's time to do it again from scratch :(

I think what your feeding them is fine :( I love your tank!! It looks great *in awe* I was having a nosey at your riccia in your tank, I think I need to play around with the riccia floating on top doing nothing :D Yours looks great in there! So does your discus and your 8 emerald eye rasboras!!!

The discus are doing great. I love them to bits! If I tap the glass on one side they rush over to get fed first *grin* Then they spend the next hour or more poking around the bottom or chasing the bristlenoses. And there's a little bit of chasing but it's never consistently the same discus and none of them are ever hiding alone. It's a 150L, 3' tank, with an external canister doing 1000L/hour and 25% water changes weekly while gravel vacuuming. The shot is of the left hand side, looking a bit to the right. I didn't really want to say in case it started an argument on whether the tank is big enough or not, and that's not what I was looking to find out. While the discus are only little I feel the tank is big enough, when they grow bigger I'll buy a bigger tank :)

Don't worry Halszka, I don't think anyone is going to have a go at you. By the sounds of it your sensible enough to know to move the discus out when they are bigger :) Plus your filtration is great at 15 X an hour! :) The plants look great too, so your doing something right :)

Archived