unusual betta terminology

maddzvk

so we all know basic colours and fin forms even well accepted patterns but every know and then aquabid likes to through a curve ball
so im accumulating some of these odd expressions that arent well known or necessarily well used

COLOUR/PATTERN
PIEBALD AKA MONKEY FACE OR SKINMASK. may also be called monster. - Piebald Betta's have a fleshy coloured face no matter what their body colour is.
MONSTER (marble)- a betta which has a white or piebald face and a different coloured body.
ARMAGEDDON- refers to Muti colored Betta that has both Yellow and Red finnage.
DEVIL- a fish with Red finnage and black Black edging.
COBRA -I think has been borrowed from guppies to describe bettas with fins that have many dots like a cobra guppy. It is also used to describe other phenotypes
PANDA- black/dark blue and white, like a panda - or dark eyes on a white head.
DIAMOND EYE - Usually this is used for metallic/Dragon scaling over the eyes, which gives the betta an alien appearance. It is also used for fancy marbles sometimes, but again, I'm not sure why!
ORANGE DALMATIAN: Orange dalmatian Betta's are not really common. They have a pale orange body with darker orange spots of different sizes all patched around there body. Also known as Apricot Spots and orange dot bettas
SAMURAI - Dragon with incomplete coverage
TUTWEILER BUTTERFLY- This is a very special type of Butterfly. While all multiple banded Bettas might be impressive, it is the unique contrast of the central band that made the Tutweiler Betta so famous! This type of Butterfly has a Clear, or Flesh coloured body, a White inner band, a Red centre band, and a White Outer band. This type of Butterfly is quite rare compared to the other types Butterflies, because of the difficulty in getting fish that have a perfect centre band."

FORM
SKYHAWK - Tall forward pointing dorsal with long first ray, very broad forward sweeping extended dorsals.
possible second meaning/co-trait the extension/reduction that appear on the dorsal and anal fin but not on the caudal which looks like eagle wing tips.( like on the photo oi reposted from martin 19/02/14)
EAGLE- Generally same as sky hawk in my experience, some people also use 'hawk'. (Tall forward pointing dorsal with long first ray)
KING CROWN- has rays which cross at 7 points/crossray crown
KING BETTA - Americanism for a large betta thats not a standardised giant (in Aus we tend to call them jumbos)

BULLET BETTA AKA SHORT BOY AKA PARROT BETTA- Are disgusting. its extensive breeding for spinal deformity specifically to create a significantly shortened body.

UNKNOWN
ALIEN- could be split ventrals, unusual marble patterning or possibly similar to diamond eye. currently unsure

DEVIL
DSC08927.jpg

DSC07066.jpg

SKYHAWK
DSC06451.jpg

ARMEGEDDON
PurpleSuperVeilsMultisandLavenders038.jp
TheOneampEEs005_zps791a9e64.jpg

Edited by maddzvk

Like you said - terms are used differently by different people and are often further skewed by those on AB...

Devil - Like Raz, I thought this was the black/blue and red form of the Orchid

Armageddon - not heard the term before, but yellow, orange and or red all appearing on the same fish is apparently only possible with the presence of the marble gene.

Panda - I thought this was a fish with a white head and black eyes (or possibly even black patches over the eyes to make them look even bigger)

Tutweiler Butterfly - named after the guy who first created it. I remember seeing a very grainy shot of a magazine cover (I think) along with the story. Apparently there are plenty who have tried to reproduce this but it is heavily argued as to whether anyone has actually been successful. Unfortunately, Mr Tutweiler lost the line for one reason or another...

Skyhawk - read an interesting post on this on the Singapore forum the other week - it's apparently an evolving term that is now more accepted as meaning a dorsal with forward facing rays, but originally was concerned with dorsal rays which very noticeably curved forward to look somewhat like a wave riding atop the fish.

King Crown - I still see different fish being labelled as a King Crown. I believe Maddie is correct in that it requires a minimum of 7 crosses to be called a King Crown. A perfect King apparently has a 10 crosses.

Jarrod I believe from once reading you had/were close to having skyhawk bettas?

I think main thing with this would be try to get the most agreed upon term, so at least within Australia we know what each other are talking about

martin on bettas4all answered a few terminology ones heres his response
"sky hawk - Tall forward pointing dorsal with long first ray
8616401743_9cf1c9b85d_o.jpg

eagle - Generally same as sky hawk in my experience, some people also use 'hawk'

armageddon - Red and yellow patches in the fins

devil - Red fins with black edges
fd97f231b022e19da537af633b56a883.jpg

cobra - I think has been borrowed from guppies to describe bettas with fins that have many dots like a cobra guppy. It is also used to describe other phenotypes - but I can't work out why!!!

fwbettashm1277914203.jpg

panda - black/dark blue and white, like a panda - or dark eyes on a white head.

a625010fd3b2734926e76af26c4d02b0.jpg

alien - Usually this is used for metallic/Dragon scaling over the eyes, which gives the betta an alien appearance. It is also used for fancy marbles sometimes, but again, I'm not sure why!
015_by_bluesand1313-d66puv7.jpg"

I've honestly never heard alien used to describe dragon scaling over the eye. Normally I've seen those fish referred to as 'diamond eye' bettas.

I have heard it is used to describe split ventrals like the example I posted above, but it does also seem to refer to marble betta as well based on a quick google search.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...