My fishroom project

Chuckie

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think gas would be a lot more expensive *lol* you'd have to get all the fittings and such installed in the house, outlets in the room, then there's the cost of changing bottles or the gas useage if you're on a gas line with a heater on 24/7, and i know that gas is going up - my parents' store sells large bottles of gas and they've been warned it will continue to rise in price *lol* plus you'd have more problems regulating the heat i think.

Hi Sara, I don't fertilise the plants as they exist to consume chemicals from tap water. That tank is my pre-use storage and treatment tank. If I fed it iron etc, it might get lazy! Whatever is in the tap water seems to agree with it. Sorry Celeste, I have no idea of the electricity comparison as I have never used more than 1 or 2 tank heaters (on 4' and 6' tanks) at a time. I have never run multiple heaters on a betta "system". I suspect that in Tassie, unless the insulation in the garage / shed is as thick as what's in the house, in winter you could well need both a space heater and individual tank heaters. I had a barracks system in my garage with 3 huge heaters in the sump and it was always in the low to mid twenties in winter even with the 3 heaters cranked to the max. Maybe it was the cold coming up through the floor. Anyway, my point is I'm sure your shed will be colder than my garage and the little heaters will need to work their nut off.

Lilli, did you see the compact 4 foot fluoro's in bunnings? i think they were $25 for a two pack and they have a much lower profile which is great for putting under a shelf and such as it gives you extra clearance. I think the total height is about 50mm as opposed to the standard 80.

I didn't spot those ones. We just grabbed the standard 4's without a diffuser. Well actually I spent a while looking at the lights then husband walked up and grabbed the standard 4's. men know best about these things you know <_< Maybe next time!

thanks lilli <_< yeah if i get a shed it'll be super insulated, even the floor, with carpet over it! my dad owns a hardware store and has built many a shed and done multiple house renovations, so he'll know exactly what i need to do to make it as insulated as possible :shifty:

shhhh Stefan - it's part of the surprise :drool::betta: That red dragon is an awesome little DT. You should see him when he flares! If I had all day I'd get a better shor of him. He's been spawned twice so his fins are slightly worse for wear but his lobes are perfectly even, and so are his spawn sister's (mother of the spawn). Cost, OMG I wouldn't know where to start. I won't count the 4' tank on the opposite wall as I have had that since about 1993. OK there are 4 bays of shelves, I think they were about $40 each. Plus the wood that lines the shelves - no idea how much that was, sorry! Forget! The tanks - well the 4 on the 2nd shelf I got for a bargain when Parramatta Aquarium did a revamp, $15 each. The top shelf, first tank was free, the 2 cubes were about $30 each, the next 2 were probably about the same, and the last 3 were $20-ish each. I honestly can't remember, I have had all the tanks for years. There is at least 1 sponge filter in every tank, add another (say) $10 per tank for that. And I run a big airpump - again no recollection at all what that cost. About $60, maybe?? Umm, what else. The white foam I use under some tanks came with my new sofa so it was free! The blue foam is a $7 camoing mat from the Warehouse. The lights were .... can't remember now, did I mention the price above? About $25 each I think and there are 4 of them. I already had the 4 tubes from an old incarnation of the 4' as a planted tank. They still work fine unless you're trying to grow red hygro, so I replaced them every 6 months and kept the old ones. I think that's it ... already had all the airline tubing, valves etc. I grew all the hornwart from a plant Phil gave me. OH and the couch is a chaepo one I had at the top of my stairs and replaced with a leather L shaped lounge, much nicer and now I have a couch in my fishroom! I know I will probably get TB or legionnaires disease or something but almost every night I sleep a good few hours in the fishroom on that couch.

Archived