Trimming bettas..

kertaz

So, I've been asking around, and apparently breeders and exhibitioners around here 'condition' their show betta by trimming the fins to make them tidier. Is this even acceptable in IBC standards?

I just think it'd actually hide the true genetics of the Betta. But what do people think?

The point of any breed standard is to aim for idea genetics, NOT an ideal hairdresser.

I find the practice abhorrent and would strongly advise any competitor NOT to consider this.

If given the power I would disqualify an obvious cut fish, and report the exhibitor to the relevant local animal protection society.

Sorry, I have very strong views on this.

Yeah, I agree, Ness. My face was like :blink: combined with <_< with :confused: on top when I heard about this. Me myself would never attempt this. It just makes the fish looks fake and would hide its true genetic, which would lead to disappointment to the buyer later on when found out. I'll need to be more cautious when purchasing good looking fish here <_<

I brought it up out of curiosity on what people think about the practice.

I saw some trimmed fish in a video which was not advocating the practice but trying to educate people on what to look for. I'm afraid I couldn't confidently say that I could recognise a trimmed fish. I doubt it would be a problem here. But yes, where you are Kertaz, you'd need to be careful that you only buy breeding stock from reputable sellers. Australian buyers would have to be careful buying fish from overseas. But if you've seen Fishchick's post on Facebook, buying off Aquabid is coming to an end soon. So it won't be a problem.

There is a big problem in the Thai show scene with fish being trimmed. I know it is frowned on, but not 100% sure on the official IBC standing on the issue. At the Betta Australis International Betta Show last year, we had quite a few international entries that had been trimmed. To a trained judges eye, they stand out fairly easy. We were lucky enough to be showen what to look out for. Fairly easy to spot with the fish that were sent out here, as it was quite a few days between trimming/shipping and the show and the clear fin re-growth was quite obvious. Easiest thing to look for is that when looked at closely, the edges of the fins are too smooth.

Another thing they do is trim off the first couple of dorsal short rays and "tidy up" ray length in CTs. Apart from re-growth, I am not too sure how someone could tell if a CTs rays had been trimmed...

I did read a paragraph in the IBC handbook that any beauty modification of a fish is instant disqualification, trimming, dying ect, just to clear up that is in fact stated so. Ive never seen it for my self, i wonder if aquarama will have any examples.

Wow... Do you have a link to that video??

No, I don't think it's online. I saw it on a dvd. The guy documenting the practice got a lot of flack on the IBC mailing list, even though he made it clear that he was not advocating the practice but drawing attention to the fact that it occurred.

In the video I saw, they managed to turn a halfmoon into a crowntail.

That's very very bad <_<

"Hey I got a nice Crowntail"

*breeds with female CT*

"Why am I getting all combtail?!"

• 4 weeks later...

You'll be pleased to know that at Aquarama the judges ignored all fish that looked like they had been trimmed. Some of the fish were very obviously cut. They had clear fin growth at the edges. Some were not cut very well and looked slightly odd with straight edges where the cuts were made.