My New Betta's

MelbourneGlobal

After a long search for that perfect HMPK, I eventually changed my mind and choose this pair of Betta Smaragdina.

For Sale Vid

Jodie sent them about 2 weeks ago and when he arrived I thought it might be the wrong fish, as he was completely beige/white but after a day the colours started coming back.

I expect to move soon so I just set up this temporary tank. (thanks Victoria Betta society for the Rocks, Java moss & thermometer)

P2230308_zps6282c466.jpg

P2230346_zpsdd5d3a07.jpg

P2230349_zps1839e0e8.jpg

We made him mad with a mirror, the camera makes him look gold-ish but he is actually more a metallic blue like in the next picture.

P2230351_zps461b811c.jpg

With his girl. (I was afraid he would be aggressive to her but he's not -yet fingers crossed)

P2240002_zps2c0648f6.jpg

And this morning he did this. Is this a bubble nest? or is it just foam from the pump? If its a nest it doesn't look very secure it's just floating there.

Colured up - (just googled). Not sure what vertical breeding bars look like but that photo above is of her about 12 hours ago. It doesn't look like she has vertical lines.

She's hiding right now, but a saw her about 30mins ago and she looked the same.

Do Betta Smaragdina females colour up like Betta Splendens?

Hopefully if they breed they will do it after I have moved!

The best people on here to ask are wildnut and bristoon, as they are spawning wilds. To my knowlege, I'm pretty sure the females colour up like Splendens females. You will know vertical breeding bars look like when you see them. The horizontal bars disappear and you will see definite vertical bars.

Best of luck!

If you get them to breed, I will be after some fry! I love smaragdina! They're one of my favourite wilds.

I have imbellis and have bred them, same complex as the smaragdina. As Shadoh said, the female will get very obvious vertical bars. Not the horizontal ones like in the photo. Do you have any IAL in the water?

Some females do develop some colour similar to males, others don't.

I have a couple of videos, one of mine and one from Fishchicks.

In Fishchicks video you can clearly see a female imbellis barred up. Smaragdina female will be very similar.

This video is from my Smaragdina tub. There were two male and four female Smaragdina in the tub. The male has a bubble nest under the leaf, and is busy defending it and trying to court a female. She comes in to the video towards the end, and you can briefly see that her scales have metalic colours that the male does.

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/pk3333/Wild%20Bettas/?action=view&current=003-9.mp4

I've got about 30+ fry that I am growing out at the moment.

Thanks Shadoh

AFR3178,Briztoon

Wow the Betta imbellis look great.

IAL not sure what it is, but i haven't put anything in the water.

Wasn't trying to breed them just trying to keep them in ok condition till i do a proper set up.

Well the nest is getting much denser.

P22400022_zpsce8bbc51.jpg

Briztoon my fremale is much more shi around the male than yours in the video. I havn't seen her near the nest yet. (But i have been out mostly - so it could of happened then)

How to i know if the female has laid eggs in the nest? And if she does do something. What do i do next? the fry hatch in 2 days right?

Edited by MelbourneGlobal

If you don't get to see the pair spawning, easiest way to tell if there are eggs in the nest is the male will guard it with his life and chase to female away if she's silly enough to come in to his view. All my pair have spawned in the morning, from sun up (or lights on) until around midday.

Give them time. He's got a good nest going, he's just got to get her interested.

IAL is Indian Almond Leaves. They have many beneficial properties for bettas.

http://www.indianalmondleaves.com.au/indian-almond-leaves/

The smargs I had before peters the girl never coulerd up or got bars she just stayed gray but the two girls from peters stock go green and get the darkest vertical bars ever then after matting they get the horizontle strip till they are removed from the tank. If the top of the nest is open then you will see eggs in it if you shine a small tourch at it. if it is coverd I use the same as I would for splendens the male gaurding the nest.

Cheers

les