Attatching plants to driftwood

So i have some new plants I have tied onto driftwood, I was wondering how long roughly until the root system grabs hold and I can cut the cotton thread?

Also long until java moss and fire moss attatches itself to driftwood?

Said driftwood has also been leeching the tannins in the water (gah), I have heard of boiling the driftwood for a couple hours but cant now considering i have the plants tied on..

The LFS gave me some Lloyd-Jones Macropore Synthetic Polymer Resin- Micro Filter Media(polishes aquarium water & removes calcium hydroxide) to put in a pouch and tie up. He says it absorbs the tannins (and showed me examples in his tanks) but i was wondering if there is a faster way.

I have been doing a 25% water change weekly.

Thanks in advance!!

Lacy

Edited by Scrappy

Yes, the plants will be affected by the hot water. It will probably kill them.

I usually boil any smaller pieces if I don't want the tannins in my tank (I too welcome the tannins :) ) and once boiled and tannins removed attach the plants.

Lol i might just have to do that.. I will have to wait till the weekend, my partner helped me do it because he wants to be more involved (yay :)) one of the pieces of driftwood cam with some already established Java Moss and Fire Moss on it, but hopefully that one wont be leaking too much..

Also what do you guys think of the "Lloyd-Jones Macropore Synthetic Polymer Resin- Micro Filter Media(polishes aquarium water & removes calcium hydroxide) to put in a pouch and tie up to soak in the tannins"?

Has anyone else heard this?

I just wrote down what was on the container, Ive never heard of it being used for tannins either but he showed me some tubs of goldfish he had which he used it in, Ill ask him next time how long it took. I suppose its until the tannins are completely leached from the driftwood. But ill definately re-tie the plants, and soak the driftwood in hot water on the weekend..

I would leave the tannins in there, but Im trying to make it a nice and perty display tank of sorts for the loungeroom :)

Yeah I know what you mean, my tank is in my lounge room too.(looks f-f-f-fantastic even if I do say so myself) :giggle:I watch it more than my tv! (going to post more photos soon)

Accu-clear for me has always done the job in 24-48hrs in a 6ft tank. The do say on the bottle to be careful of over dosing the tank so that is one thing to take into consideration when using it. I have never used the recommended amount, I have always used less than that to be safe and got results. Might be other people here that have heard of that stuff you mentioned but not me.

Edited by 6ftaquaman