Betta Topline Shape

splendidbetta

I can see the difference you're referring to in the Aquabid pics, Stefan.  But to my eye, the difference is mainly postural, because the three fish you find less than preferable are all in full flare with their heads braced to the extreme, which naturally distorts the curve of the spine and the line of the head.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.. I think you will find in these cases its more the angle of the photo and the posture of the fish that is making the difference rather than any actual physical problems. Ah if only fishies would stand still and say cheese!

Yep, each to their own :giggle:

Vicki, I know what a male betta in full flare without this topline characteristic looks like. In the Aquabid pics, the backs of those fish should have sloped/arched smoothly down to the mouth. Instead their topline suddenly "snaps" and drops quickly down to the mouth...

Can you say from your experience that a male with a perfectly smooth topline will have his topline transformed into that shape during full flare?

As for whether it is the angle of the photo and the pose of the fish, the fish in the link below is relatively side-on in the photo, he is not curved or facing the front or back of the photo. So his topline must actually be like that in real life.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...ashm&1136643167

I'll see if I can get some other photos of this fish from the seller :lol:

I agree that the other 2 have only minor bumps. However my last spawn contained so many fish with these faults that I hope I never see another one among my own stock in the future. [ :cheer: ]

Can you say from your experience that a male with a perfectly smooth topline will have his topline transformed into that shape during full flare?

Well, I don't think I've encountered the level of perfection you aspire to, but yes, in my experience that's how a well-formed betta looks in extreme flare. Their posturing is greatly exaggerated.

As for whether it is the angle of the photo and the pose of the fish, the fish in the link below is relatively side-on in the photo, he is not curved or facing the front or back of the photo. So his topline must actually be like that in real life.

I have to disagree, Stefan. His head is dropped and retracted (braced), and his caudal peduncle is raised upward. If you look closely, you can see by the light and shadow, compression of some columns of scales and curving of rows of scales toward the caudal peduncle, that his body is curved laterally as well. I would bet good money that if you could view this fish from above in the pose he's in, his spine would have an S-shaped curve to it.

All in all, this fish's topline looks great to me. I would be extremely surprised if there were any irregularities discernable when the fish was relaxed.

All in all, this fish's topline looks great to me. I would be extremely surprised if there were any irregularities discernable when the fish was relaxed.

A valid reason for asking the seller for more photos of this fish...

Hi Stefan, I think you have some issues you need to work through... maybe a trip to toplines anonymous will do the trick.

Hi Luke, you are probably right. Do you have their phone number or address? :giggle:

You guys probably find my obsession somewhat ridiculous, yes? I keep wondering what you all think of my little issue... :lol:

I think from now on I'll keep my topline obsession to my self. I know I'm not seeing things, and photos don't seem to give an accurate example of betta body shape. So I'll just stop ranting on about topline faults and start producing my ideal betta quietly :( :cheer:

Lisa, you are correct that this male does have a "peak" and "dip" on his topline. However the photo has exaggerated it because he has also flared and "S"-bended in normal flaring behaviour...

But as you can see, it is a smooth rise and drop, with no other lumps or bumps or dents at all. It doesn't look "raw" like the Aquabid males do.

His intended female has no irregularities at all and should balance his topline with hers...She should arrive from someone tomorrow :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The above image was very dark and needed to be lightened using Photoshop. No other alterations were made.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I needed to alter that photo and upload it and others to Photobucket...

Lisa, you are correct that this male does have a "peak" and "dip" on his topline. However the photo has exaggerated it because he has also flared and "S"-bended in normal flaring behaviour...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There you go, photos you see, are deceptive.

Breeders get their Betta to flare for photos, yes? Maybe they are doing a full on snakey posie, and exaggerates it, or displays something that is not there.

*Just being curious* How come you bred this betta if he is displaying a god awful trait anyhow?

:)

There you go, photos you see, are deceptive.

Breeders get their Betta to flare for photos, yes? Maybe they are doing a full on snakey posie, and exaggerates it, or displays something that is not there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you there Jess, but if you look carefully you will notice that the topline of the male in the last link is "shaved away" where the back peaks and then drops just above the begining of the head. I am sure that a betta can't bend his head in half at the base as he would need to be doing in the photo to make his topline look like that.

I wish I could explain it better :(

*Just being curious* How come you bred this betta if he is displaying a god awful trait anyhow?

:D

:) I have not yet bred my CG male. As I said in my last post, other than that slight "peak" which is hardly anything major, he has no lumps or bumps or dents in his topline.

Also, can you see how his mates topline could be a bit fuller? I am hoping that his topline will balance out hers in the fry.

Lisa, I didn't think you were critisising him :D The photo I took of him I hope shows that he doesn't have anything wrong with him :D

His girl should arrive this afternoon. I hope she arrives alive and in one peace :) I got some ketapang extract and leaves along with the female, from someone, so that should help her settle in and get the male to blow bubblenests...

Archived