CRS with Platy Fry

jay_ro

hi everyone,

just after some info/feedback.

a friend of mine gave me 2 crystal red shrimp last week which i am keeping in my fry tank (with no fry), and yesterday i found a platy fry swimming around my main tank.. so i threw all three in the same tank.. the water is fine, im checking it daily. Im just worried my shrimp might eat my platy??

please tell me if this is ok, or just straight out a bad idea... i just dnt have anywhere else to put the little things just yet :( but i dont want to lose my platy fry either!

any info would help.

Thaaankss!!! :)

Edited by jay_ro

I agree with Jessica, My platy babies are a few months old and still are only about 2cm long.

The key thing to remember here is platys breed like rabbits and you will have even more babies before you can clap your hands.

Sometimes it's best to let nature run it's cycle and leave the platy in the tank with the adult fish.

I have a community tank with 3 angels and 7 platys and I had one give birth an two survived and are now large enough not to be harassed by any of the fish.

Thanks for all the responses people!!

Lee, im not too worried about the platy breeding, mainly just worried the adult shrimp will eat the baby platy i put in yesterday.

I appreciate all the feedback :) hopefully my platy will live in harmony with my shrimp till he/she is a bit older haha :)

BUT can you guys tell me, will the 3 day old baby platy eat the shrimlets that are expected any day now??? or is the platy still too young to eat them?

baby shrimp are rediculously tiny, but so are new born platy, so i think you would have a few weeks and during that time the best bet would be to get a breeder net for the platy to live in. Its a very thin mesh they cant get out from.