My fishroom

Likoma

Good day fellow forum members,

I have finally gotten around to putting together a video of my fish room.

The fish-room contains only rift valley fish.

I have one male Siamese inside the house. I am dreaming of a day when i can create a Betta barracks using dividers as shown in the video,

over time i would grow plants that would attach themselves in the Poret foam, I guess java moss and fern, any suggestions?

The betta barracks would be filtered using the Hamburg Matten filter system

I hope you enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzVDQyXqBM0

Very nice setup. Very healthy and harmonious tank.

Does the water pass through those dividers?

Yes, the dividers act as the bio and mech filter media,

I pump the water from end of the tank using 3m of low ppi piping.

Its the most simple and effective system ever.

Extremely high stocking densities as is evident.

The big bit of blue foam i swam under was the sponge filter for my 1000lt tanks. The entire system is filtered using purely Poret foam. I have used it before. i tried to locate some once I moved to NZ, only stockist I found was Swiss tropicals in the states. So i tracked down the supplier and bought a bit to stock my fish-room. Have since gotten in more to supply the NZ market. Everything is run of 1 air compressor and a small water pump. 2 x 1000ltr tanks, 3m x .5 x .3 grow tank with the dividers and a 1.2m. A new 2m x ,7 x,7 arrives today.

I'm at the early stages of doing my own fish room. Are you allowed to disclose the supplier? Swiss tropicals is fine if you're only after a couple of pieces but for a whole fishroom it gets a bit expensive. Is it really necessary to have that much sponge in every tank? Or is that just because it's convenient to use it that way?

I'm at the early stages of doing my own fish room. Are you allowed to disclose the supplier? Swiss tropicals is fine if you're only after a couple of pieces but for a whole fishroom it gets a bit expensive. Is it really necessary to have that much sponge in every tank? Or is that just because it's convenient to use it that way?

I purchased these ones from ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3PC-Filter-Bio-Sponge-45-x-45-x-2-5cm-Media-Block-Foam-pads-Biochemical-Sponge-/270978464539?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3f17933b1b they work quite well for me, at a great price.

All good questions. First things first, my motto is get the water quality right and the rest follows. You could probably use less foam but I have quite high stocking densities so don't want to push my luck with the fish health, I'd rather err on the side of caution. Cost does add up, but I have some large pieces left so I am happy to discuss prices if you like, the old economies of scale can kick in.

I got a bit stung using a cheaper foam off the net. In my view what happens with the cheaper foam is that the open-cell structure collapses in on itself which inhibits water flow and therefore the good bacteria you are trying to grow can't survive. I found this happened around about 5-6 months. Purely Poret has a life span of 5-10 years which means you wont have to rush out and replace it all the time and you get better bacteria colonies.

The Hamburg Matten filter is a great design by the Germans (which by the way are the people who design and manufacture Purely Poret). The beauty about the HM filter is that it is simple to use, cost effective and low maintenance. It sorts out the mechanical filtration (gets the debris out of the water) and the biological filtration (gets the bad stuff you can't see). Google is our friend, if you google Hamburg Matten filter you will get loads of info on it. If you check out this link you will see the first article that got me hooked.. http://www.bumblebeefilms.co.nz/resources/Hamburg%20Mattenfilter.pdf

Hope that helps

What is Hamburg Matten filter system ?

Decided to make a short video showing a Hamburg Matten Filter in action. Its our setup of a 700l tank

used in our breeding system.

We will be running the tank as an experiment with weekly updates of test results and findings.

Heaps more information can be found about it on our website Bumblebee Films

I hope you enjoy

I was the one who was interested in the poret foam on Aquariumlife, but just wanted to say your video on the Hamburg Matten Filter was really informative.

Although looking at that tank, my bettas would think they had been dropped off into Niagra Falls with that amount of flow happening *lol*

Still looks like a great system, and if I do get a chance at a properly set-up fish room, it is definitely something I will be keeping in mind.

• 3 weeks later...