Power Out & Fry

Lilly

We recieved a letter saying that on the 10th (in 3 days) our power will be out all day, from 9am to 3pm. I have a 2ft tank full of 6 day old fry, and I'm really concerned the temperature drop is going to hurt them.

I was thinking I could cover the tank with blankets and have the house heated, but they are down the hall way and in a small room so I'm not sure really how warm it will be down there. Does anybody have any other ideas/ tips and tricks?

I'd hate to loose my fry to this. D: Thankyou!

Edited by Lilly

You too? Ours will be out from 8 until 5:30! Bubble wrap and blanket over the tank if you're that worried about a temperature drop but you should be fine. We're picking up a generator anyway so I have nothing to worry about.. :)

You are from Brisbane remember, Busman... it's not /quite/ as warm here in SE NSW, haha. :P No, I hope you're right- It's a good idea to preheat the room, so I'll try and do that aswell as cover it. Thankyou!

Lachie and RiffRaff, why did I not think of that? I'll have to look into it. We could probably use just having one on hand actually, anyway. Thanks heaps guys. :-)

Oh, well I'm glad ours isn't quite as long haha. Bubblewrap is a good idea, too. Thankyou, Yan! I should really consider a generator aswell, by the sounds of it.

Thanks heaps guys, you're all always so full of wonderful ideas.. or do I just lack common sense? Heheh, thankyouuu. :D

Yes a generator would be great but can be quite pricey, I remember mine costing over a grand. A cheaper idea is to customise a few styro boxes so it is like one big one to cover 2ft tank and then use heatpacks, you can always add one every cpl hrs or so (as soon as temp drops). This is just a cheaper alternative but a generator is the way to go.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_IBqCR1ZKerLzDkSBl_xRnMDft8Wabm_ohZwX7h8deOkUXVG5

you could get one of them and hook it up to a car battery and plug your heater and or filter into it????/

that may work, you might need to look into it more