Possible tank mates?

afr3178

Just wondering... I was never going to do this without asking you all. But would it be possible for me to put a macrostoma female in my sorority tank with 6 splendens females? While my male is holding or I don't want them to breed... It would be more convenient... But I can setup another tank for her if I need to.. Or divide the tank they're currently in. Any advice is much appreciated!

Hey, I don't know enough about wilds, but I do know they are much more placid than the good ol betta splendens. You need to be very careful that your splendens girls don't bully the mac girl too much (or to the death). Be mindful that the mac girl might get stressed out a lot easier than splendens girls... And this stress might also lead to illness/disease/death.

I thought macs prefer more acidic conditions too.

If you do it, make sure you set up a "safe" sorority tank that provides lots of plants/hiding places, and keep a very close eye on them. Make sure the mac doesn't get bullied out of her share of food.

Thanks Paul. After thinking about this idea again, I decided that it would be best for my mac if I don't introduce her to the sorority. I forgot about the pH difference, although macs can go in pretty much any pH as long as it is constant. I don't want to risk it though, ill just setup another tank where the pH can be more acidic and she can take her time eating... Although she eats everything in one go now haha.

I actually found my macs will adjust to most pH. My macs are living in rainwater at the moment and so are my bettas splendens. So water is not a problem but busman is right about the temperment of the girls. They might not be as welcoming as you want them to be but then again mac girls are quite strong and not to mention big too.

How big is this Mac female? Most females I've seen have mouths big enough they could eat small female splendens without much effort. Whether they actually would or not, I'm not sure but that would be my main concern.

The female is about 7cm, but all of my females are too big for her to eat. I might try this out after I get a spawn of macs and when I have a spare hour or two... and a spare tank setup with lots of plants and hiding places. It would be interesting to see what happens and to learn a bit more about housing them together.