My introduction to Bettas!

BettaBeginner

Hi all,

I live in Victoria and I am very new to Betta. I've known about "Fighting Fish" my entire life but my knowledge was limited to the Veil Tails that you would find in the local Supermarkets/Superstores. I found one at a local pet store that could be a Super Delta and found him to be really pretty so I got him and went looking for two others to fill the spare vacancies in the split tank I got. I came across an Aquarium that had some of the most brilliant Betta I have ever met.

I've only just started to think about doing it as a hobby! I'm really enjoying the ones that I have and find myself eager for information about the hobby. Any and all advice would be appreciated. I'm going to post my boys so that you can see them. I also have two girls.

The first: "Rocky" (He was my "Pet Shop Boy")

IMG_4490.jpg

The second: "Riff Raff" (He's what I believe is a Single Tail to a Crown Tail?, someone suggested that he could be a Crown Tail that had soem fin rot but I've been trying to grow them out and I see no change in shape.)

IMG_4463.jpg

The Third is my Green Mustard Double Tail: "Brad"

DSC_5020.jpg

The Fourth: She's actually a female. She's the counter part to Brad. "Janet"

I'm just including the link because otherwise I'll post too many pictures.

The Fifth: "Eddie". I was told he was a Copper Dragon Half Tail. I think he may be a Super Delta, or at least his sister is. His copper color tends to change between copper and silver. In any event he was sold to me as a Metallic.

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg

The Sixth: (The Last is Eddie's counterpart. She's the reason I think Eddie is a Super Delta. She clearly does not have the 180 degree span) "Magenta"

Again, here's her link:

Welcome to the forum Riff. I'm sure you'll find plenty of Betta info in the Betta specific section of the forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There us usually someone out there willing to answer.

I agree that Riff Raff is probably a Crowntail (CT - get used to the abbreviations, they are used a fair bit on here) if he has had a bad case of rot to the point he lost his ray extensions, odds are they won't grow back. He looks healthy and happy now though. You can see the new growth in his tail.

Eddie looks to be a halfmoon (HM), meaning that at full spread, his tail spread is 180 degrees or more. He is a nice looking copper dragon, as is Magenta :)

Edited by shadoh

You made it to the forum! Welcome to the party Ken.

They're all pretty handsome boys, you have great taste in Betta, that's for sure.

What I wouldn't give to get my mits on a DT gas dragon like madam here:

DSC_5073.jpg

You be sure to tell aunty ness if you ever decide you want to sell the ladies!! both those females are show stoppers.

Rocky looks to me like a pastel dragon (red underneath a white wash covering) which I was thinking about the other night, and might explain the eye thing.

Dragons are subject to random tumors, but we'll leave that for the clinic thread shall we?

The orchid is really sweet, but I'd suggest he's got some crooked rays, and with the damage he's sustained - probably has nice breeding genes (hint HINT) but s'long as he's healthy now they generally don't mind their fins not looking 100%

Brad is HOT... so is his missus... and Eddie is a spunky red and black copper dragon - you have some great fish young man!

Welcome to the party.

x Ness

Welcome to the forum! :D

Some nice fish, I particularly like Rocky, he's lovely.

Thanks Sarah! I love the colors of your Double Tail in your Display Picture. I've decided that I do want to get into breeding so I am looking at various colors and tail shape varieties to find out what exactly it is I want to breed and the colors on your fish are very appealing to me.

Welcome to the forum Riff. I'm sure you'll find plenty of Betta info in the Betta specific section of the forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There us usually someone out there willing to answer.

I agree that Riff Raff is probably a Crowntail (CT - get used to the abbreviations, they are used a fair bit on here) if he has had a bad case of rot to the point he lost his ray extensions, odds are they won't grow back. He looks healthy and happy now though. You can see the new growth in his tail.

Eddie looks to be a halfmoon (HM), meaning that at full spread, his tail spread is 180 degrees or more. He is a nice looking copper dragon, as is Magenta :)

Thanks Shadoh, I think I'll get more comfortable with my questions after I see what's already answered and I get the hang of this forum. It does seem to be a much more helpful forum than some of the others that I have been seeing. I am definitely okay with the abbreviations but I will admit to enjoying typing so (annoyingly) you'll probably get the long hand in my questions anyway. Is it weird that I like his tail fins they way they are? I mean, I don't enjoy that he was probably in great discomfort before I got him but I just absolutely loved the look of him regardless of that. I'd be interested in seeing the offspring he creates.

I love them all but I am admittedly preferential to Eddie and Magenta. Would you still consider Magenta a Half Moon? I can see it with him but I have some trouble seeing it in her. Is that just because she is not flaring it in the picture??

Welcome, they are some lovely fish you have, where did you get them?

Aquatic in Melbourne. The owner has been incredibly helpful! He's really the one that got me interested in the hobby of landscaping and Betta's as a hobby. He doesn't get Betta in all that often but he does seem to have HEAPS of wild types and Killie fish. He does have a opaque Double Tail pair (I am pretty sure that is what they are) and a Purple Dumbo pair. I wish I could have taken all of his fish but alas, I have to introduce them slowly into this house or I get in big trouble. :P

You made it to the forum! Welcome to the party Ken.

They're all pretty handsome boys, you have great taste in Betta, that's for sure.

What I wouldn't give to get my mits on a DT gas dragon like madam here:

DSC_5073.jpg

You be sure to tell aunty ness if you ever decide you want to sell the ladies!! both those females are show stoppers.

Rocky looks to me like a pastel dragon (red underneath a white wash covering) which I was thinking about the other night, and might explain the eye thing.

Dragons are subject to random tumors, but we'll leave that for the clinic thread shall we?

The orchid is really sweet, but I'd suggest he's got some crooked rays, and with the damage he's sustained - probably has nice breeding genes (hint HINT) but s'long as he's healthy now they generally don't mind their fins not looking 100%

Brad is HOT... so is his missus... and Eddie is a spunky red and black copper dragon - you have some great fish young man!

Welcome to the party.

x Ness

My many thanks to you for being helpful! I was getting a little overwhelmed with the whole thing. Adrian sort of made it sound SUPER easy but everything I was reading in various forums just started my head spinning so I tried to get a book online but all the reviews for them implied that the nomenclature was such that you would have to have a degree in Marine Biology to understand any of them. You've definitely helped. Some of the links you have given me to read have been super informative!!

I'll get Rocky's picture into the clinic thread.

Exotic Aquatic / Adrian's fish are all sourced from someone Lea (youtube channel "Fishchick65") and they're all top end, so I'm not surprised you have such nice fins.

This whole keeping thing can be a really steep learning curve, because you do have to learn a bit about water chemistry to keep the little blighters alive, and they aren't very good at explaining what's wrong - however thats where this forum and a community of experienced people can really help.

(: Glad you've seen the light - so as to avoid any of our fish "going to the light"

uhhhhhh - you'll get used to my bad Uncle Ness jokes.

-Ness

Edited by melbournebetta

Exotic Aquatic / Adrian's fish are all sourced from someone Lea (youtube channel "Fishchick65") and they're all top end, so I'm not surprised you have such nice fins.

This whole keeping thing can be a really steep learning curve, because you do have to learn a bit about water chemistry to keep the little blighters alive, and they aren't very good at explaining what's wrong - however thats where this forum and a community of experienced people can really help.

(: Glad you've seen the light - so as to avoid any of our fish "going to the light"

uhhhhhh - you'll get used to my bad Uncle Ness jokes.

-Ness

Admittedly, I don't get all of them but the ones I do get are funny and the other ones just seem to add to the whole quirky-Ness about you. It might take me a little longer than I expected but I'll get it in the end.

welcome to ausaqua some nice fish from Adrian :fish:

He really does and he is an incredibly nice person as well. I often find it difficult to talk to some people and I always end up buying something I don't want because I usually want the conversation to end faster so I'll just get the first thing but Adrian sort of "forced" me to get the ones I actually loved. I'd recommend him any day.

Welcome To the Fourum :)

Are you Going To Spawn Brad And Janet?

If so Im Up For a pair of Babies :)

:bighug:

Thank you!

That's definitely in the plans. I just need to learn how and then we'll see how it goes. They certainly like one another. I have them in two adjacent tanks with just a card between them and every time I remove the card, they both flare up at one another. She's all into it. From the sounds of what I am reading on here, that's a really good sign!

Will definitely keep you updated.