Plants for bare bottom tanks

You can also add floating plants such as hornwart. Depending on the lighting, you could pot up just about any aquatic plant and stick it in. Anubias on driftwood or rocks is another popular choice.

Edited by shadoh

I Have swords, lotus, crinum, staurogyne, crypts and blyxa potted. I grow tropica and needle leaf fern as well as fissidens, subwassertang, peacock moss and pelia on wood or loose. I don't like floating stems but as Jarrod said hornworts is good (if it's to warm it will melt though) water sprite and cambomba are also good floating.

I use subwassertang, java fern, java moss, anubias, hydrilla, frogbit, riccia, duckweed and potted vallisneria in my bare-bottom tanks. Watersprite is good floating but it sometimes looks ratty when it starts transitioning to emersed growth. Same with wisteria.

Personally I'm a bit of a fan now of strapping java moss to things - river rocks are best weights... but looks smart on driftwood too - just be sure to tie it on tight with cotton thread, some people have had bad experiences with Betta getting stuck

PL-MO03-01.jpg

I have a few of these that do quite well in average light: Microsorum pteropus "Windelov" aka Java Fern "Crested'

7182815_orig.png

Obviously Java will do alright too, but I like using it's wide leaves shoved into a corner of the spawn tank for infusoria and as cover for the females.

I really like Loma fern (freshwater seaweed) Lomariopsis lineta

loma.jpg

I use this in fry tanks as it's easier to handle (For me) than Java moss when I'm cleaning up and the kids love hiding in it.

Also a handy plant to absorb all the badies when I have fish Jarred.

Ludwigia goes okay too, but I've found it wants more light than i have available

561_Ludwigia_Pantanal_Ludwigia_inclinata

Top pick would be Anubias (Anubias barteri nana)

9-xi-09-anubias-barteri-nana-ii-m.jpg

I like the smaller Anubias varieties, but they're all pretty hardy and grow rapidly enough to be interesting.

Hey Ness, not all ludwigia will go good floating or growing in anything but a high tech tank, the one you posted looks similar to L. Sp. pantanal which needs high tech conditions. There are some dead easy ones to grow though!

That might explain why I hate Lud Wig.. I probably get the fancy pants version, I once had a nice pink one that went orright.. but everything since has been a disaster

Thanks Matto!

Hey AFR, you might want to check out Subscape Aquarium too (Richmond)- they have super cheap plants (and have great BETTA!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Subscape-Aquarium/165185040211176

x

Richmond is a bit far... Plus every time I go to an aquarium, I feel like I waste my time. For example, today I only bought Riccia... I don't know what's wrong with me lol.

I just checked and it is only a half hour drive! Bit of housework and I'm sure I'll be asking through their doors soon ;) I need some new Betta...

Edited by afr3178