Video of CTPK Pair Spawning

shadoh

I thought this deserved a thread of it's own. Good for those who have never seen bettas spawning before :D

This pair have been courting since Saturday. They have been very gentle, so have been leaving female out of chimney all day, putting her back in late afternoon and giving them a late evening feed of blackworms. Released female today at approx 11am. Female was clamping her fins and displaying submissive behavior (head down), she had displayed breeding bars from the time she saw the male on Friday. They started wrapping around 12-12:30pm. Male had difficulty at first trying to wrap her, as she was so full of eggs. No eggs were being released at first. I noticed eggs were being produced when I checked on them at 1:30pm. They are still wrapping.

Spawn log once I have tails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dtyrUmJN8

Hahaha Sarah!

Ness, I wasn't exaggerating when I said it was raining eggs, she was a full as one of Busman's Red Rockets. I was worried if she didn't start releasing, she'd explode :eek:

Thanks afr3178

Edited by shadoh

*lol* Thanks mate. The female STILL looks full of eggs, so I know I can respawn her soonish if need be. I'll wait and make sure the male doesn't snack on eggs/fry before setting her up with another male :D

I can't wait to see how they turn out. They will be my show fish for the September betta show :D

Hey, no probs. I'm trying not to spook the male today be keeping away from the tank. I'll post another video once the eggs hatch and his attention is on keeping the fry in the nest... Speaking of the nest, it is much smaller today (about the size of a 20c piece) - big enough for the eggs. The plant is hornwort it is a floating plant and VERY easy to look after. No special lighting. I have a small fluro light fitting I bought from bunnings sitting over the tank. It is about 1ft long.

Looks like the male has eaten the eggs/fry. I cannot see any eggs in the nest today and definitely can't see and fry hanging under the nest. He's still hovering around under the nest like there's something there though... I'll check back later this afternoon for another look just to be sure - 48 hrs, any eggs should have hatched by then and I should see tails if there is anything in there.

So dissapointing :(