Heating Product ?

GeraldtonWA

I was following a link on someone's post the other day and came upon a site that sells "heat wrap" and recommends this as one means for heating aquariums. I can't find the original link but I found a similar product on ebay. You can purchase a version for Australian voltage.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Repi-Warm-Reptile-Pet-Warming-Heat-Mat-Snake-Lizard-Turtle-3-Sizes-/230752519997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item7b692f59fe

It looks different than the mats I have seen elsewhere - cheaper and you can order the length that you require.

Does anyone have any insight/experience about this product? How would it work compared to reptile heating cords or similar? My aim is to avoid a heater in each small tank (or using a sump).

I know someone who has something similar to heat the small tanks she keeps her bettas in during winter. From memory, it keeps the tanks at roughly around the low 20's. There is no thermostat or power "dimmer" switch, so they are going 24/7. Not sure how it affects the power bill...

We've currently using a heat mat on a divided betta tank at work. 7.5 watts, runs at all times. Including hot days so you have to remember to unplug it on hot days or you can cook your fish, then remember to plug it back in when it cools down. It's up to you to decide if you want to put in that much effort. I much rather just run small heaters, or rather a sump.

I use reptile heating cords with a separate thermostat. The reason I prefer this to individual heaters is that I can heat multiple containers with a single cord. It's also hard to find heaters small enough to fit the six litre tanks that I keep my breeders in. I'm currently heating 16 tanks using 4 heating cords operating off 2 thermostats. I could probably get away with just one thermostat but there is a bit of temperature variation at the different levels. The other thing I like is that the heating cord is a very simple device. Just a coated wire really. It doesn't matter whether it's in or out of water so can survive my absentmindedness in the fishroom.

I use reptile heating cords with a separate thermostat. The reason I prefer this to individual heaters is that I can heat multiple containers with a single cord. It's also hard to find heaters small enough to fit the six litre tanks that I keep my breeders in. I'm currently heating 16 tanks using 4 heating cords operating off 2 thermostats. I could probably get away with just one thermostat but there is a bit of temperature variation at the different levels. The other thing I like is that the heating cord is a very simple device. Just a coated wire really. It doesn't matter whether it's in or out of water so can survive my absentmindedness in the fishroom.

Does this system keep the tanks warm enough in winter Bettarazzi? The idea of avoiding multiple heaters and their cords is attractive. What do you do about filtration ?

Many thanks

Does this system keep the tanks warm enough in winter Bettarazzi?

Definitely. With the thermostat controlling the temp the cords are on as long as it takes for the tanks to heat up. But this needs to be put into context of my fishroom. Although the room isn't heated, there are quite a few heated tanks which means that the room eventually does heat up. It's not like they're out in a large, uninsulated garage or anything like that.

What do you do about filtration ?

These tanks are currently unfiltered. But I do have some small sponge filters which will fit in there. I'm planning on setting up permanent siphons for these tanks so that I can drain and fill them more easily. Although I coped without automation on these tanks all of last year. I don't think the sponge filters will be coming bank any time soon.

Do you just wrap the chord around your tanks, Bettarazzi, or do you run them actually through the water?

No. I run the cords up and down the shelf about 4 times, hold them in place with masking tape, then just sit the tanks directly on top of the cords like this.

I use reptile heating cords similar to this and control it with a thermostat like this one. I actually attach a power board to the thermostat and then 3 heating cords are plugged into the power board. And the sensor goes into one of the tanks. I just don't use the heater that comes with it and I had to buy a universal power adaptor to connect the 3-pin powerboard to the thermostat which only has 2 pins.