Goldfish & Neons

I have set up my 80L tank with 10 Neon's and 6 baby goldfish. I have a large goldfish in another tank that I'd also like to put in that tank but wasn't sure if it would eat the neons?

I also seem to have very aggressive neons. I was watching them the other day and the males were chasing each other. Is this normal?

You shouldn't be keeping them together, neons are tropical fish and goldfish cold water, they arn't a comparable species, goldfish are herbivores though so won't eat your neons.... An 80 litre tank is also only big enough for 1 goldfish. Is there a possibility of putting the goldfish in a larger tank and leaving the neons in the 80 litre?

Goldfish have been known to eat smaller fish, just like every other big fish. They have totally different water chemistry requirements aside from the obvious one being tropical and one being cold water.

Neon males will display to each other to 'win breeding rights', or to show dominance, etc. Nearly all fish do this.

Yep, any fish that will eat their own young will take the opportunity to snack on smaller fish... Maybe not now, but when the goldies get bigger you will see the numbers of small tankmates dwindle.

I'm sure they look great together Bev, but unfortunately they aren't suited to live together...

The 6 goldfish in the tank are only 1cm long so not going to be an issue for a while yet. They are only in there to help cycle the tank and will be going into an outdoor pond. The big goldfish will have to stay in his own tank until the pond is ready for him.

Thanks

BettaObsessed - Please take a look online at the idea of fishless cycling. There are many fine alternatives these days to exposing any fish to toxic water conditions intentionally :)

Also happy (?) to confirm that goldies will be thrilled to taste-test anything they can get their mouths around - alive or dead, animal, vegetable or mineral! Its all delicious :lol:

Edited by Pyrefly